Propane/diesel mix system

superdutypowerd

I'm buyin an 05 power stroke with 195k. I'm considering puttin propane on it since I drive a lot of hwy miles. Is there any long term negative effects? And would it not be a good idea with the miles already on the truck? And where do I get the system? I have looked for them before with no luck thus far.

I'm buyin an 05 power stroke with 195k. I'm considering puttin propane on it since I drive a lot of hwy miles. Is there any long term negative effects? And would it not be a good idea with the miles already on the truck? And where do I get the system? I have looked for them before with no luck thus far.

It was popular a ways back, but i agree with the above statement... Liok into a w/m kit instead..... Cooling mist makes high quality stuff.

W/m leaves a residue on cylinder walls unless you make a certain temperature that eats away at the cylinder walls. Right?

W/M generally leaves things cleaner than it was before you used it.

Ok. That's the first I heard that, lol. Everyone always said different. Unless you have something like a pull tractor that generates enough heat to burn everything away. I had thought about doin it once before and was told not to, so I don't know much about w/m systems or what it does for an engine. What can you tell me?

Always, always, always use distilled water and make sure you buy methanol from a reputable source. If you use tap water it will leave stuff behind. I ran my setup for around 100k miles and everything inside looked damn clean!

What is your reason for wanting propane? More MPG's? If so the gains are very minimal. You will notice your mileage increasing if you just divide the miles driven by the diesel fuel used like most do. Propane is an additional fuel, so you have to factor that into your calculations, which most do not do.

I say propane cause where I am, propane is free for me. And yes mpg's is why I'm interested it the system.

Last edited:
Propane has a risk of early detonation, the more propane the higher the risk.

There is a reason almost no one runs it anymore.

What about w/m. How does the system work? Where can you get it? Or do you make it yourself?

89 F-Superduty -this is boring, lets go pull something.
96 VW Passat -cheap to drive, expensive to fix.

If you want a simple kit it's easy to build. Just a Hobbs switch, pump, solenoid, nozzles, fittings and a check. Nothing fancy just makes it boost activated.

W/m leaves a residue on cylinder walls unless you make a certain temperature that eats away at the cylinder walls. Right?

This is wrong... Any water is evaporated, and the heat dries it right up.. Been running it for 4 years.. Theres no residue anywhere in my motor.

Propane has a risk of early detonation, the more propane the higher the risk.

There is a reason almost no one runs it anymore.

This is true, but to much meth is the same result.. Youll here it for sure.. Ive been using washer fluid for ever... Its like a 80/20 mix.

This is wrong... Any water is evaporated, and the heat dries it right up.. Been running it for 4 years.. Theres no residue anywhere in my motor.

That's good to know. What's your mpg/hp advantages?

You may like your fast Cummins,
But your wife likes my slow powerstroke.

I ran both Propane and W/M at the sametime on my first Dmax. Not a good idea. Have to admit the cylinders and pistons were whistle clean when we tore the engine down, rods were a little shorter than I liked however.:lolly: One thing about w/m not sure how the new systems work, but when I was using it the main problem was overcoming the boost so you were actually injecting it.

I ran both Propane and W/M at the sametime on my first Dmax. Not a good idea. Have to admit the cylinders and pistons were whistle clean when we tore the engine down, rods were a little shorter than I liked however.:lolly: One thing about w/m not sure how the new systems work, but when I was using it the main problem was overcoming the boost so you were actually injecting it.

How much boost are we talking here....

Last edited:
That's good to know. What's your mpg/hp advantages?

You may like your fast Cummins,
But your wife likes my slow powerstroke.

Mpg, no clue and dont care at all lol... And hp at my level now is only 35hp using 80/20...... It used to be closer to 60 hp with a different set up.:Cheer:and i wont run anymore of a higher meth percentage..

Last edited: