Pros and Cons of '03 CR?

Just trying to get an idea of the '03 CR, found a hellova deal on a 6-speed, 4x4, reg. cab, with 90,000mi. just need to find out how I'm gonna sell the ol' '97 12 valve.

I know it's not as powerful of a motor as the '04.5+ but what would be the best power adders? Also, what is the stock HP/TQ ratings on the '03??

now If I would get this CR, I wouldnt be dumping thousands upon thousand into it yet, slowly but surely, starting w/ basics, intake, exhaust, electronics.

I was looking at the BullyDog Triple Dog kinda bummed about not have "Crazy Larry" tune, since I've heard good things about it. But which electronic power adder would be the best, BullyDog? MP-8? PPE? Edge? just need some ideas cuz I'm coming from the mechanical P-Pump!!!
:thankyou2:

Pros: Easy to add power, lots of power available, great driveability, easily adjusted power, new technology, smooth riding, did I mention power?

Cons: To quiet, still a dodge, still has lift pump issues, injector can fail from to much pressure, upgrades are expensive, more stuff to go wrong

I know of two 03s that have dropped valve seats.... if its common or not I don't know? As blue mentioned all electronics fail in time so IMO you are downgrading but I have never been accused of progressive thinking LOL

I'm a P-pump lover till I die, but if you can get a REALLY good deal on it, it's a great truck... I'd prefer an automatic w/ a 3rd gen, or even a 5sp vs. the 6sp.

I'd say your biggest concern is the valve seats.

awesome trucks though, and the early non-cat 3rd gens have a pretty decent exhaust note

The only valveseats I have seen fail were from nitrous or uncontrolled EGT'S. The driveability is great even over 700hp. Never have too many fuel filters or enough lift pump pressure. Keep those two up and you will be O.K.$.02

Forrest Nearing said:
I'm a P-pump lover till I die, but if you can get a REALLY good deal on it, it's a great truck... I'd prefer an automatic w/ a 3rd gen, or even a 5sp vs. the 6sp.

I'd say your biggest concern is the valve seats.

awesome trucks though, and the early non-cat 3rd gens have a pretty decent exhaust note

Don't get me wrong, I love my p-pump. Cheap performance! I also prefer auto., mostly for racing, but the 47re I got right now in the '97, LOL that's a different story, a nice full billet would be nice...but too much $$.

For everyday driving w/o ridiculous power, I'd rather have a stick. Now, maybe in a few years when I save a few more pennies, I'll be messing w/ an auto CR for streetable racer/puller.

The sound of CRs are very nice, esp. w/ a nice 5" turbo-back exhaust

Don't need no crazy larry. I got comparable power if not better stacking my tst on my programmer. Threw on a charger and got 525/996 on a dynojet. That was on the stock cp3, and relocated-to-tank lift pump, AEM & straight pipe. Nothing more. A FASS is being installed as I type.
I would say the first thing is obviously gauges....and don't just get the normal EGT & Boost....get a fuel pressure and rail pressure gauge. There is a great deal through dtr on Quadzilla's new RP/FP gauge. I ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow.
I am not ginormously (YES!! It's finally a recognized word in the dictionary!!) worried about my valve seats. I don't use all the power I have except for pretty rare occasions. Having the turbo helps her stay cool. I drive conservatively and get excellent mpg's....always in the low-mid 20's.

the 03 dodge is a great choice, ihave had very little trouble and they can build awesome power............

03 is a good truck, the it can be a SO or an HO depending on when it was made. there is a lable on the drivers side of the valve cover. HO have 305 Stock ratings, i would add a Quadzilla commander for the guages, with the fuel option, Quad Box has been working well for me, as far as programmers I have used Super chips and Preditor and bothe work fine.

Back