Pullin the head (question)

oil-burner

Have to pull the head on a friends 12v due to broken exhaust bolts (last 2 cylinders-all 4 of them-cant get them out), anyway he has very little money and has to buy a 3-pc exhaust manifold. Do you thing the head should be touched ? (mill for flatness, valve job, valve seals) Truck only has 106,000 on it. Or just clean it up and put it back together.

scot

I would at least check it with a straight edge and see how bad it is. If he's not going for all out performance I'd just check it over real quick and then put it back on.

I would go ahead and et it decked at the least, and depending on how much they take off sink the valves in deeper. Decking is only like $40...

Does he plan on building the engine up later?? While it is off you could do the 60 lbs valve springs. I had talked to you about this before - I think same truck. How bad is the manifold warped?? If the Exhaust gaskets were leaking bad - how is the sealing surface on the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head?? If following is all fine there should be no reason you cant just clean up and install. Note: If your installing the 60 lbs exhaust springs, install the new valve spring under valve seals. If buying a cummins upper headset they will be in there. If not let me know I have some sitting around.

You don't have to pull the head to get te bolts out. This happened to me with just the number six bolts on my tow truck. I broke a couple of extractors trying to get them out. So, what I did was used a torch. Concentrate the heat on just the bolt, liquify it and hit the oxy to blow it out. When you get most of the bolt out, drill it out to the proper size and retap to clean out the threads completely. Like I said I did this recently (october '07) and it worked great.

-Tom

You could even use a left hand drill bit and a big extractor while heating up the exhaust ear around the bolt. Make sure when you put your new bolts in to put anti-sieze on 'em.

I tried heat with the extractor and it did'nt work, but that was my truck. I have never in my life had bolts so stuck in something.

-Tom

Too late, head is off. No plans at all for any mods, all she does is pull a small horse trailer.

scot

Back