Pullin the motor, where to start?

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
Taking the front end off today so I can get the motor out this weekend.

Do I unbolt the engine at the flywheel housing, or pull the flywheel housing with the motor??
And on the motor mounts, is it easier to unbolt the mounts from the engine, or leave them and unbolt it at the frame mount?

I have the head off so there's a bit more room to work with..

on edit: Does it matter about orientation when I pull off the crank pulley? does it have to go back on in the same "clock" position???

Thanks
Brad

Last edited:
I would unbolt the engine wherever you think is easiest ( I think either way will clear). I left my motor mounts on the block. You should have no clearance problems with the head off. As far as the crank pulley it goes on any way.

Josh

i would unbolt the tranny from the motor and take a good jack or something to hold it in place. There is really no reason to take the tranny out WITH the motor.

If i remember correctly, there is ONE long bolt that hold the motor mount on the engine to the frame. Take that out and the whole crap will come out. You will know what i mean when ya look at it.
I think i remeber.

Lance

Hey Lance, know you from the "other" forum.. How's the wiskey..?? :Cheer: :blahblah1:

Anyhow, Thanks Jambbii for your take on it.. I hadn't really got in there and looked them over yet, too busy getting all the other crap outta the way. This is my first "transplant" so it's learn as I go.. My concern was picking up the motor with the trans shaft still in the clutch enough to get the mounts to clear.. My question on the bell housing stemmed from seeing so many cummins with the housing still on them out of a truck.. didn't know for sure where to unbolt, but think I got it sorted today.. I wasn't planning on pulling the tranny with it..

Along another line for a minute, I'm trying to put together an engine stand for this beast. I picked up a scrap yard piece today built from 2x2.5x1/8 or maybe 3/16 square tube (haven't put a tape on it yet) but it was $25 and already built.. Question is, if I get some 2x2x3/16 square, is this stron enough to support the engine? I have a plan for a craddle type stand in my head, bolting up to the engine mount holes in the block, but I know this thing just over half a ton when ready to put back home...
So I got a small welder, a small amount of skill and alot of heart and effort to go into it, just don't know enough about the material to make a "educated decision" on what to buy.. :pop:

Thanks
Brad

oh.......... go ahead and get a fluidamp'r when ya put it all back together instead of putting the factory balancer back on. There are supposed to smooth torsional vibrations and save the mains.

Lance

Back