pulling with 06 cr cummins and six speed

smarty06

Diesel Junkie
First time puller needing some helpful advice. wondering what gears and what 4x4 range.

I have an 06 cr cummins with a smarty tuner level 9 and a south bend dual disk clutch.
Thanks in advance,
Andy

4 low definately. First I would try fourth gear, if you can not get off the line then go to third gear. Just my $.02

Go 4th gear low range and see what she's got. You should be all right but just make sure you take it up enough in the rpms. My buddy never takes his rpms up high enough and always bogs down in 4th low and he has about the same mods you do. What size tires do you have?

Go 2nd high, just don't dump the clutch. If it bogs out before the 75ft mark. let out, just make sure you don't hit the brakes or the sled will hit you, and then try it again in 4th low. Remember to have it pretty much matted to the floor and the RPM up there before the clutch is completly released. I know alot of guys using 2nd high with the G56 tranny's and they do very well, with little mods. Pulling in 4th low, you will probably top out you speed by 175ft, 200 ft out. Also update your smarty to the revo or revo TNT. You will get a little more power out of it.

I think these are right:

(4 low, 3000 rpm, 3.73 axle, 33 inch tire)
2.1:1 - 3rd = 14-15 mph
1.38:1 - 4th = 20-21 mph
1:1 - 5th = 28-29 mph (the BIG gear)

(4 HI, 3000 rpm, 3.73 axle, 33 inch tire)
3.48:1 - 2nd = 22-23 mph

FWIW - I used 3rd/low on my nv4500 and it sucked, only 19mph. 2nd/4hi is my next step...

As well like others have said, I literally have the go-pedal to the floor before I start to let the clutch out (about 3500, but then the ECM takes me down to 3100 after the fuel starts to come on).

But dont ride the clutch forever, or you will be installing a new clutch after every couple pulls. 3rd gens have a pretty strong factory driveline, get off the clutch as quick as you can and try to get the tires sinning just as long as you dont bounce let it have it. If you bounce let off or youll be fixing something.

Wes

But dont ride the clutch forever, or you will be installing a new clutch after every couple pulls. 3rd gens have a pretty strong factory driveline, get off the clutch as quick as you can and try to get the tires sinning just as long as you dont bounce let it have it. If you bounce let off or youll be fixing something.

Wes

This is true. I finally got the nerve to pull 2nd high last weekend. Though last time I tried it, I broke the main shaft right at the Transfer Case. That was at the TS event. The clutch I had wouldn't hold up if you slipped it the least little bit so I tried to slip it just long enough to spool the turbo and dumped it and it snapped. So last weekend I was such s nervous wreck about pulling 2nd high again I slipped the clutch about 40-50ft and I could tell it got pretty abused. Next time I hope to be off the clutch by 20ft out. Though I am running a NV5600 instead of the G56. So you may have better luck than me.

Back