Pulling with stack???

05reddragon

I was wondering if anyone has a rig they tow with that has stacks or a single stack????? Reason being is i was wanting to get a 6 or 7 inch miter cut stack maybe about 3-5 inches from the top of cab but i only have a crew cab shortbed!! i know dual stacks would be no deal but maybe a single , not neccesarily in the middle but close would be out of the way. So i was just asking around to see if anyone has a set up like im talking about . than jeremy :Cheer:

With a straight piped stack it would be unbearable IMHO towing, with a muffler you could probably stand it. I had a single stack on my last truck and getting up to speed you couldnt talk in the cab, but once up to speed it was ok. Towing anything it was just LOUD.

I towed a 30' gooseneck Grossing about 21k pounds from Seattle to South Carolina. I've got 5" Dual Aussie cut stacks on my truck and the noise wasn't bad at all. As far as the clearance issue, my trailer came PRETTY close to touchin the stacks when I would put the truck and trailer 90 degrees to each other doin a sharp turn so I imagine it'd really be a problem on a short bed.

running a 5" turnout stack even with the top of the cab. but i have a muffler. it isnt too bad, both turbo's do a good job of using up alot of the exhaust energy(sound)

covering the front of the trailer in soot is an issue though. i spray it with that bug and tar remover before going,, it leaves a waxy surface on the trailer face so the soot just washes off with a hose.

Here is what I had. Key word there being had. It was unbearable to drive when pulling a trailer after upgrading the turbo. With a stock charger it was not too bad, but could get annoying after long trips.

PA290307.jpg

I used to have 5 inch stacks straight cut that were about as high as 06diesels towing and daily driving was kinda loud but not too bad. I switched to a single 7 inch miter cut stack and man is that thing loud and it is even worse when your towing. IMO if you want stacks on your tow rig make sure there above the cab and I would go with a curved style like the Aussie's.

I got two 5 inch mitre stacks and at 125 kph towing 11.500 pound fifth wheel it really makes me wana off myself. I set the stacks closer to the centre so when i turned they did'nt hit the fifth wheel. Cause i got a short box so i think that made it worse too

towing with my truck and my 5" dual mitres it's pretty loud... all you hear is turbo whistle and exhaust noise... especially up hills or accelerating... it's just LOUD all around

I tried towing my 31' camper with straight piped stacks and it was extremely loud. I added an Aero turbine muffler and it's not bad at all now. I found out the hard way to make sure after washing the truck make sure all the water is out of the stacks before you tow anything. That black crud is murder to get off of my camper.

I tow with dual 5 inch stacks. The twin turbo quiets it down alot and I found some stainless and put baffles in both stacks. I think it quieter than the straight 5 in out the back now. The box for the stacks is a 3X8 rectangle which helps some also. I really like the setup.
There are some slip in baffles made but I don't know how much they would help.

Had one tall 5 inch on my ol 94. Well you can see the stack in my avitar. It was pretty loud in the cab especally if you had the back glass cracked open.
Had a bull hauler on it for a while that helped a little. Just got used to the drone I guess. Still have the factory exhaust on my 04 without muffler and it will ring your ears at times. Havnt thought of a stack for it yet.

Fireman450

Sound deadener goes a long way...

I run 6" mitres from time to time, or my 5" straight pipe, and neither is loud in the cab anymore. No more drone/resonance either. I lined the top, bottom, back and doors with RAAM mat, also added a layer or the aluminum bubblewrap insualtion on the roof and floor of the cab for added insulation, the sound level is almost as quiet as stock, and road noise is way better than before as well...

yea i was reading in one of my old dieselppower mags and there is a kit they put in a f550 for silencing it and to control engine /trans heat i am thinking of trying it. my freind just oredered some 8 inch stacks from black cloud diesel yesterday so once he gets them in ill give them a listen to see how loud those bad boys are. thanx for all the info from you guys, i thinkim just going to dual my 5 inch infront of the rear wheels with some 8 inch tips ofr now. ill post pics after i get it done

i run dual and have ran single as a Daily drive and towing wasnt bad with a reg cab not to loud if the windows are up but kinda loud with them down but sounds great would never go back

when i got my truck the first thing i did was cut the muffler off and put stacks on it and it was ok unloaded but i hauled my mudtruck to south florida 200 miles or so one way well on the way back i was calling around to order a muffler you will not want to tow with no muffler and stacks but with the muffler i got its fine i have a carquest 4in in/out straight through design

I tow daily with dual 5' mitre stacks and 4' straight and it's not that bad. I can live with it but these 6.0 aren't that bad on noise.

i pulled a 32FT gooseneck horse trailer that i pull with a 5in stack in the middle and its LOUD! you cant hear yourself talk!

i got a 5 inch single stright cut and i have towed cattle and hogs with it, and is isnt bad. Little loud in the first 3 but on the road when it winds out it aint that bad.