Pump shop says gov weights were ready to come off??

jimmer

Interesting title for my first post...long time lurker...first time poster.

Here are the cliffs notes...

- thought I had the 'sticking plunger' prob with my 95 160 p-pump. when hot and under load...rack would stick...and then engine would die. It would start right back up. Drive for a bit...under load...it would do it again.

- Fuel pressure was low...12 at idle and 20 if lucky under load. replaced both the pump and OFV...Tork Tek adjsuted all the way in only got me 22 at idle and 27 under load.

- no leaks from fuel strainer etc.

-decided to pul the pump...previous owner said engine had 180K.

- sent to CDS, they finally got a chance to look at it...and said that the 'govenor weights' were basically ready to fall off...and asked if anyone had been in the pump. I said no...and asked how the weights were 'loose' and why. He said he did not know.

Humm. I have done a ton of searcing on other topics/boards and have never come across this before...does it happen often? is the guy blowing smoke? Any possibility of internal damage from them being loose? And HOW do they come loose?

Pump guy mentioned he saw some heat issues on two of the barrels...and said that they would 'fix' that so there would be no sticking problem. Plus they are gonna cc it and all the other goodies.

Figured I would ask here and see what comments you had to offer.

Thanks

95 12v swapped into my 88 Chevy V30 crew Cab long bed 4x4.

Not unheard of.

I will do some more digging on the subject...but so the symptoms I describe go along with what you have heard? Seems strange that the only problem I have had with it was under heavy load (towing) and on a hot 85+ degree day.

Thanks for ur reply.

Jim

CDS isn't a shop to blow smoke. I've never ran their pumps but from everything I've read and heard and talked to people about they are top notch.

CDS isn't a shop to blow smoke. I've never ran their pumps but from everything I've read and heard and talked to people about they are top notch.

No no no...I will re read my post...I did not want to say that they are...hope I did not come across that way....I guess it is how u read it.

With MY limited knowledge...I just had not heard about this. I had a hard time finding anything about the issue I was having...and I found a few threads about the sticking plungers on the 94-05 pumps. The problems they were having were just like mine.

Living in Colorado...no pump shops per se to go to...I read a bunch here on Comp D about p-pump shops etc...came across CDS and gave them a call. Nice folks answered my initial questions...and they told me that some other uses of the p-pump had a sticking plunger issue as well.

Dan called back today and told me what was up...and the approximate price for the fix and the pump flow/tune up.

I live at 6800 feet and tow 8-10k in the mountains...little to no air here and harder to make power...I figured that these guys could point me in the right direction...considering compounds will be in the future.

Never heard of it but I do know Dan is a very straight shooter, I've used CDS a few times and would do so again in a heart beat!

Jim

I have edited my orig post...did not mean to post that they way I did. Open mouth...insert foot. ---edit Well...was gonna try and edit it...but can not. My apologies to Dan and CDS...

Last edited:
Never heard of it but I do know Dan is a very straight shooter, I've used CDS a few times and would do so again in a heart beat!

Jim

That makes me feel better.... Crap...now I sound like the Oprah network! LOL

What good are posts without pix? Poser shot of truck with camper on it.

31260774_photobucket_95174_.jpg

Well good info...I am eagerly awaiting the pump and injectors to come back...and then I can get back to this low FP crap.

Forgot to ask them if there was 'any' way that a prob inside the pump could give me low FP. 2 new cummins lp's...2 new OFV's...checked gauge...even put a dial indicator onthe fp lobe/essentric on the cam to check the spec...came in at .250 as it should. Oh well...cross that bridge whe I get there...

Now to research how to fit compounds in the Chevy engine bay! Currently running wh1c (early 1995 engine) and a 1st gen 4" dp. It is tight but may have to mount the larger turbo forward...dang Chev heater/ac box is in the way.

Last edited:
Dan at CDS will take good care of your pump issues. He built one of my 13mm pumps and it runs very well.