Pump tuning for 550 rwhp?

kas83

I'm slowly getting the parts together for my truck, and am looking at taking the pump off and sending it out. What kind of tuning should I do so that it'll make ~550 to the wheels. I picked up some New Era 435's for injectors, a 4K GSK, and was looking at some taper cut delivery valves from PDR. Will those dv's do the job, or will I need to go with something else? And where's a good place to send the pump to? Driving OTR leaves me with very little time to work on it other than assembly of the motor itself.

Rest of the motor is getting some goodies: ported and polished head w/ o-rings and studs, Maxspool 2 cam, block girdle, ported exhaust manifold with HTT QD 64/71/16SS. Going to upgrade intercooler at some point, and am looking at an intake horn similar to the twin inlets Hellman makes. I'm going to be pushing the envelope with this setup to get that power level, but I think it can be done with some tuning. Not going for a daily driver at this point, but want to be able to drive around town on a weekend night or two with it, and go to pulls a couple times a year. Thanks in advance. And if you have any suggestions on other setups, feel free to state them.

All the parts listed, minus the cam, are what I have in my possession already. The deals were too good to pass up. BTW, it's a 97 215 pump.

Last edited:
I recently made 532hp983tq with a super b special (64/71/14, junk 370's, lasercuts,timed22,watermeth,home ground 100 style plate, 4gsk, stock head minus orings and studs. This is a 180 pump Everything else stock

Now shooting for 600 with a stock head 66mm turbo and 435's and a few pump mods

Rick did 550 with a 215 pump that had never been off the truck.

With twins and lasers, right?

I recently made 532hp983tq with a super b special (64/71/14, junk 370's, lasercuts,timed22,watermeth,home ground 100 style plate, 4gsk, stock head minus orings and studs. This is a 180 pump Everything else stock

Now shooting for 600 with a stock head 66mm turbo and 435's and a few pump mods

How hot did that thing run? How smokey was it? And how much water meth was used?

I'm looking for fuel only, single charger, and not a complete smoke show.

And Smokem, are you saying mod rack travel, 4k's, and timing will be all I need? No need for delivery valves, stock 181's will do? Thanks for the help so far.

Doesn't he have II dragon flows in that thing too? Those are a higher rated injector than what I have.

Doesn't he have II dragon flows in that thing too? Those are a higher rated injector than what I have.

Negative

I run dragonflies... My best dyno to date was at 550, tq was unread, but i do estimate it at around 1050 or so... thats with 16.5 degrees... I would however like to run a set of dragonflows, see what the difference is...

Problem is i tow, and i tow alot, and even my street tune is pushin it... anyways

191s were also used on my best...i still have them and will run them again soon... My street tune tho, with 16.5 degrees of timing, a 1/2 plate and AFC and flies, oh and 181s makes just under 500 rwhp... minimal smoke....

Im sure theres more in it, but ive done what i can to it, time to turn it over to a pro... (once its fixed that is) Oh and i have no plans to remove a pump... 600-650 is all i want.. Oh and head is totally stock too... I dont know how my HG has lived.....

Rick

Back