Putting 12 valve in 92 F-350 Rollback. Need advice.

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have never done a cummins conversion. We have a 1992 F-350 rollback that were gonna put a 12 valve cummins in. The Cummins is a 1995 dodge engine with all the accessories. Whats the best way to go about this? Who makes the best motor mounts? What all am I gonna need to do this job and make everything work? The Ford has a ZF 5 speed in it, but with the prices of the adapter plates, it would probably be better to go ahead and put a Dodge 6 speed in it, don't you think? I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks

As far as the mounts go if you have any kind of fab skills build you own. It will put every thing where you want it. If not then find someone local that can fabricate. I went with the dodge running gear because, I was not sure and still don't know if the flywheels or anything other than the adapter was custom. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere because I needed some custom part that I couldn't get.

A lot of guys swear by de-stroked. They say it is the best stuff out there. I know you definitely don't want Ford-Cummins. I bought there motor mounts, and had problems with where the motor was placed, and I couldn't get customer service for nothing. I ended up building my own. They aren't as pretty as some guys motor mounts, but I could probably hang the truck from them.
A six speed would be great, but I would go with the G56, over the 5600, due to parts availability. The a/c is definitely going to have to be re-located, or you will have to modify the frame. You can check out my conversion for some ideas, as I am still building mine. I am sure some other guys will chime in to help out -Nicholas

I did my conversion before Auto World MT made urethane motor mounts for my app. I've already busted one mount in half so after my next deployment I'll be getting the urethane ones. The NAPA replacement is doing good so far! I kept the E4OD. I actually had to have it rebuilt so I had it built to 500hp. I'm partial to the NV4500. In hindsight, I would have gone that route.

Link to photos of my conversion with parts list.

EDIT: Destroked's adapter plate and flex plate fit perfectly. I am very happy with their products and customer service.

Last edited: