Pyro Install?

cumminssoon

I Got A Pyro Gauge And Probe Put No Instructions I Have A 96 Cummins Were Would I Install The Probe Before Turbo Or After Turbo Any Info Would Be Great Thanks Guys

Before Turbo, drill and tap your exhaust manifold. The most common place I've seen and witnessed is where the exit of the manifold is. Be sure to drill and tap offset, there is a web splitting the front bank of three from the rear bank of three ports.... If you drill dead center you never really get through the material because you begin drilling into the Web.

Likewise, there is some theory somewhere that says your rear cylinders would be warmer, I don't completely buy it but most everyone drills and taps for the back three cylinders since you have to make a choice.

I would measure 5/8" from center of manifold towards firewall and 2" from turbo flange towards manifold and hit that intersection with a punch. I drilled a pilot hole with 3/16" bit first and then opened it up with 21/64" bit. Some prefer the "R" bit instead of 21/64". It really doesn't matter. Tap the hole with 1/8 national pipe thread tap. Run a revolution and then back out tap clearing out the chips. Be sure to check your fitting for depth after a few turns of the tap. Keep checking it until you think the bottom of fitting is flush with inside of manifold. The tap is tapered so if you just keep going until tap is bottomed out your fitting will not fit tight and then you will proceed to swear a lot. Put some anti-seize on fitting and then install thermocouple. It is literally a 15 minute job being very careful. Some prefer to vacuum out hole or use grease on drill bit to catch shavings or run a pencil magnet down the hole. I used the magnet and pulled out a lot of shavings, so it made me feel better but would it have hurt the turbo? Who knows.

did mine yesterday. did the grease and then folloed up with magnet. you need to use a magnet. gauge works great. easy install