Pyro probe readings from up pipe

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
Ok guys, Im probably about to order the sneaky pete up pipe from Elite. With that said, I have a couple questions. What is the difference in pyrometer readings from the up pipe and the manifold? Reason being, Ive got an MPD with Heads Up coming in the mail, and I was thinking I would tap the new up pipe for the MPD's EGT reading, and leave my C2 in the manifold. Are the readings pretty close? :thankyou2:

Sounds like you will become the authority on that issue if you do what you say your gonna do... Let us know

i say put it in the manifold, and use it because you will watch it more than you will the gauge, or swap the C2 pyro to the uppipe and put the HUD pyro in the old place of the C2 pyro.

cause when you have something as cool as a heads up displacy why use a real mechanical boost gauge, who is gonna look at that boring thing when you got green ghost numbers hovering on your windshield..... LOL

my first probe was in the manifold..got really hot..really fast.

I moved it to the uppipe..it get hot still..but no where near as fast.

Or you could put one in the other manifold. Thereby giving you temps on the left and right banks of the engine.

Thats how my DMAX was done when it had Autometers and a Juice Attitude

Crawler said:
Or you could put one in the other manifold. Thereby giving you temps on the left and right banks of the engine.

Thats how my DMAX was done when it had Autometers and a Juice Attitude

yep..I know a few people here have done that.

up pipe would probably read a tad cooler since it's a few inches farther away from the cylinders.

I ended up putting the C2 in the downpipe, and the MPD in the manifold. That way I have pre and post turbo EGTs. Just found this thread again and thought I would give an update.

I know this has been beaten to death, and then cremated, reanimated, and beaten to death again, *bdh* over the argument of pre or post turbo readings. What did you observe with yours? And the reason I ask, is I'm putting one in, and I'm still not decided on where to put it. I see above that there was even a debate as to manifold or up pipe... now according to the logic of the previous discussions, the up pipe isn't good place because it's not as hot as the manifold. Yet above, the complaint was it gets too hot too fast in the manifold. So, the next question is how fast is too fast to respond to heat? Technically, you'd want that thing pointing into one of the exhaust ports if you really want to know how hot it is... Every large scale engine builder / driver I know goes post turbo.

So, again, what did you observe with yours?

does it ever even out? I would think instantaneously, it's a big difference, but over time the numbers close in on each other, right?

There will always be about 75-150 degrees difference between the 2, simply because of heat loss through the turbo. The only time they will be the same, is just before you start the engine...when it all has cooled down overnight, or whatever.

Back