QC sub enclosures

stilwtr74

I have one of the cheap sealed prefab under seat boxes that are sold on ebay with 2 10"p3 shallow mounts. It sounds horrible. I have good subs and good clean power running to them so I am sure its the box. I have heard good things about a fox box ported enclosure but wanted some of your opinions before I start buying more stuff.
Thanks for the input

What kind of subs, what kind of power? Not all subs will work well in ported and sealed enclosures in fact i'd say a majority of good subs will not do well in both but real well in their proper enclosure.

I had mine for a year thinking it sounded like crap but still better then nothing, then I pulled the speakers out and they were dual voice coil (supposed to be single) and one was wired backwards. Alot better after that but I still put some better subs (Kicker CompVT)in the box with 1200W and now I'm happy! So check your wiring!

Last edited:
amp is a kenwood kacx401m running 600w at 2 ohms into 2 rockford fosgate 10" punch 3 shallow mounts, It has to be the box, it is center in the recomended sealed airspace so maybe just the configuration of the box?
I am not expecting to blow the windows out or anything but it really does sound like ass. Wiring is correct, have tried running both 2 and 4 ohm set ups.
I have heard these subs sound awesome in other applications.
Anyone had good luck with boxes?
links and or pics would be sweet,thanks

first thing is what kind of amps and subs do you have? make sure you do not over power or under power the subs. also wire size and type is often over looked, make sure your wire is oxygen free wire, i use Monster Cable or JL Audio Cable, i also use ANL blade style fuses.another thing keep your power wires away from your speaker wires. when it comes to the box and subs, the box needs to be fit to the sub, most likely the reason your system sounds bad is your driver displacement is way more than the box is built for. how many cubic feet of air does your subs need? i would highly recommend looking into a ProBox.ProBox Custom UTV Tops and Vehicle-Specific Subwoofers and Enclosures for an off the shelf sub box, they are right there with the Fox Boxes. here is Fox Acoustics http://www.foxacoustics.com/. if you need any more help fell free to pm me.

Ok, sounds like you have quality equipment. My next question is what kind of volume are those particular subs designed to work in and what kind of volume does the current box offer?

Just re-read your reply. I think you are saying that the subs are in a box in the middle of the range of acceptable volume correct?

the probox is basically what I have right down to the airspace though mine is all mdf. Looking for someone with a fox box as the run a lil bigger .9 vs .6 of probox. Wish someone that has had both would chime in

sealed is .4-1.0 I am running .6 minus displacement i think is .061.
Ported is .75 and the foxbox is right at .9 . Like i said not looking for mind blowing bass but still like some thump.

Sounds to me that everything you've done is right in line unless you have some monstorous EQ at super low frequencies or something long those lines. You may just be past the headroom that system has to offer. The ported box will definitely work better for being louder as it will be more effecient at tuning. Biggest downside is it will unload the sub at lower than tuning so you have to be carefull with ultra low stuff.

Small sealed stuff takes a ton of power to generate serious spl and cone excursion and takes a tough driver to do it. Cheapest for you would likely be the ported box otherwise you're looking at a bigger amp and better subs.

Good luck.

Just looked up the specs on your subs. They are not going to produce alot of sound in a sealed enclosure. xmax only 10.8mm which isn't much for a sealed sub. I'd look into Fi Car audio subs and alot more power if you want to keep the sealed box. The Q model has 27mm xmax and will do well in a sealed box between .2-.6 cu ft. I run 4 of their 18" IB woofers in an infinite baffle setup in my home theater with around 3000 watts from a pro audio amp and they work......um..........wrather well:)

any thoughts on the poly filler?

I believe it's supposed to slow down the back wave in the box and cancel out any resonances. I've used it before and not noticed a huge amount of difference one way or the other. Your biggest difference is going to be one of the ways suggested above sorry to be the carrier of bad news. This is assuming ofcourse nothing obviously bad is going on like a box coming apart, a torn surround on one of the woofers, bad amp, bad wiring, etc.

I have a single 10w3 in a jl stealthbox powered by an arc audio 1500dr(way more amp than I can use) but it sounds pretty nice.

i will let you know about the Fox Box, i talked to Joe at Fox Acoustics today, real nice guy, i was concerned about air space on my subs, i have 2 JL Audio 12w3's and i thought the were going to much sub, but after hearing how they make there box and how much airspace there box has i figured for $180.00 i cant go wrong.when i finish my truck i will post some pics of my system and let you guys know how the Fox Box is

Let us know. I have 2-12" Alpine Type R's with a Alpine PDX 600watt mono block amp and have a big box above my rear seat. I want to change that into one of Joe's FoxBox's but I heard he doesn't make boxes no more. Can't get ahold of him. I need something for 2-12" subs since these Alpine Type R's are huge.

ok i will, i was on the phone with him today, i called his number that was on the website and he picked up. real nice dude. as soon as i get it i will post some pics

I'm thinking that those type r's are to deep for a stealth type box, they rock though. My brother has em in his jeep and they want to damn near pop the windows out of his hardtop

i built my own box it is 90% fiberglass with a 3in mdf ring around the storage area my total airspace is right at 3.8-3.9 cuft but i had to raise the seat 3in to clear and the speakers are cvx 10" kickers and i had a hifonics 1200watt amp on them and it sounded good

mark001.jpg

mark003.jpg

Might I suggest probox for the sub box. Sealed encousur. It's a good base to start with.

I had the cheap $75 box and blew the box apart.

Back