Question about Nv4500 oil

holsky

Got a quick question for you guys. I know with the Nv4500 your supposed to use that special Castrol Syntorq oil and its hard to find. But I just put in new aftermarket sycros and Im wondering if I still need to spend the 150 to get the right oil or can I get amsoil or something around that nature. The syncros I put in are from Piers Diesel I believe and they are a brass looking material. Any thoughts would really help me out. Also about how many qts does it take?

Thanks,
Austin

I used the royal purple severe gear 75/90 synthetic in mine with good luck. Can get it at napa r autozone. Takes 4 and a half quarts i just put in 5...

unless piers say to use something else, I wouldnt put anything except syntorq or amsoil in there. Any GM or dodge dealer can get it same day

I agree, use any 75/90 oil. The last couple nv4500s i built, i've always run the royal purple 75/90, and they shift like a dream, and have lasted for many miles.

Called piers and they said they highly recommend still using castrol syntorq. So looks like the dealership will be getting my $26 a qt.

You can use any gear oil if you got rid of all the fiber syncros

The fiber is the key- that is why you should not use a Gl-5, when they get hot the extra additives eat the fiber.
Gl-4 rating only.
And don't forget to use the clutch every shift, no matter how bad of a Billy Big Rigger you think you are.

I had absolutely horrible luck with the so called factory lube and their "LIFETIME" fill. It ate the fiber off the synchros quite quickly at 300 Hp and no sled pulling. That was on 2 new 97s.

I'd avoid it at all costs, especially $26 a qt.

You can tell Piers I said it, too.:poke:

The Amsoil MTG is good stuff but Allstandard Trans in Indy told us we can run that or 10w30 full snythetic Valvolene motor oil which we get at Auto-Zone. They said absolutly do not run thick gear lube in these trans that the oil is to thick to properly lube the bearings.

We fill the trans till it runs out the side plug, then put the plug in and put one more quart in through the shifter tower.

Last edited:
Try buying it at a snowmobile shop. Its the same stuff that Dodge sells.

Back