Question about some little mods..

jyarber

I am thinkin of adding a couple little mods to my 01 7.3L, I was looking on Black Cloud Diesels site and was reading about a couple of there mods. Just wanted to see if yall though it was worth getting. I was looking at there Boost Tube, Dual relief vavle, air intake heater plug and there high pressure oil crossover hose. My question is there dual relieft valve, will it let you boost over 25psi or will it limit it to that amount because I was seeing 28psi with my edge programmer. Also the heater plug. What exactly does that heater element do? Should I remove it and replace it with that plug?

The boost tube is kind of cool. I've got one. It keeps me from having to adjust my wastegate. I still pull around 28 psi on my truck. I replaced my AIH with the plug and ran the boost guage line out of it. No problems there.

Also I used to run the boost relief valve but now use an ITP boost controller. You can check it out at itpdiesel.com. It doesn't create a boost leak like the dual relief valve.

Just my .02. Hope that helps a little.

Ben

Are you talking about the itp boost regulator? All of these regulators and valves will only let the turbo see 25psi. I was running more then that with my edge. I have TS now and everyone claims to be seeing 33psi. So I guess I could just get Black clouds Map Maximizer so I can still boost higher then 25psi and dont have to worry about the SES light coming on. Does the truck actually loose power then the SES light comes on when boosting high? Also I saw in your sig that you had a CCV Mod and a HPX mod, what exactly are those? What does the high pressure fuel spring do?

Last edited:
Yes, I do have the ITP boost regulator. And yes I do pull 28psi with it. Yes the truck will lose power when the SES light comes on and it defuels. There is a pigtail offered from the same guys that takes of that too. Exhaust backpressure sensor eliminator.

The CCV mod is the Crank Case Vent reroute. Instead of the CCV being in the intercooler tube it's rerouted out through a tube to the back of the truck. Keeps oil out of the intercooler tubes and the the turbo.

The HPX is the High Pressure Oil crossover (also offered by ITP). It lets the oil pressure sensor see the pressure in both heads instead of just the one.

The high pressure fuel spring is simply a higher strength spring located in the return line off the fuel bowl (offered from gillette diesel service). When you hit the acclerator sometimes it will sort of pause for a second before it takes off. But with the higher pressure spring it doesn't do that anymore. It takes right off!

I hope that answers some of your questions. I don't claim to know much so don't quote me on anything, but I think I answered everything as honestly as I could.

Ben

Do you have a link where you got that High Pressure spring from? Id like to get one of those. Does it make the truck run wierd when idleing or anything?

Back