Question about Zinc Chromate

farm boy

Im looking to paint my livestock trailer with Zinc Chromate for its rust prevention qualities. Does anyone know if it can be applied with a standard automotive paint gun or does a special paint gun have to be used? Thanks.
(Sorry if its in the wrong forum.)

Dredging up memories from long ago we used a regular paint gun the few times we sprayed it, but I think we had to go with a larger tip. Don't quote me on that though, it's been several years and we mainly used rattle cans.

Get a tech sheet for the brand you're using, but yes it can be sprayed through a typical automotive gun. Clean the gun immediately after you spray or it will etch into every part though.

No, Zinc chromate primers are an acid-etch. The idea is to create an etched-in barrier against rust/corrosion.

OK, gotcha... galvanized is a hot dip anyway, right? With zinc chromate, do you use it as a primer, or is it the final finish also?

OK, gotcha... galvanized is a hot dip anyway, right? With zinc chromate, do you use it as a primer, or is it the final finish also?

Used as a primer on bare metal. You don't sand it, it doesn't "build" like a filling primer. It's just meant to be a barrier.

Thanks for the input. Im going to talk to the guys @ Sherwin Williams about it before I buy any. I dont plan to use a finishing coat if I dont have to. The guys I know who had there trailers Zinc'd, did not paint over it.

Thanks for the input. Im going to talk to the guys @ Sherwin Williams about it before I buy any. I dont plan to use a finishing coat if I dont have to. The guys I know who had there trailers Zinc'd, did not paint over it.

Actually, most of the primers now are what's known as "chromate" free.

The acid-etch primers that are available now are usually an "olive-drab" in color.

If you're looking for the best corrosion protection, a product called Vinyl wash might be the way to go..

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/products/8827.html

Keep in mind this is a very "thin" product.

If you're looking for a product to simply spray on and not topcoat, you might want to look into epoxy from Andy at SouthernPolyurethanes..That might be a better way for you to go... :)