Question for those who have done the 271 t-case swap

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Well mine works great, held up to a rough and muddy track today running 2nd gear high range but I have a problem.

Everything engages and disengages as it should but I can not get my 4WD indicator light to go out. does anyone know what I have to do or which vacuum line to modify to make the light go out or could it just possibly be a hole in the vacuum line that controls that light?

I just replaced the 271's electric 4wd light switch with the big 4-tube vacuum switch that controls the front axle CAD etc.

The signal for the 4wd indicator light should come from the front axle IIRC TJ. My truck did the same thing when I the vacuum hoses to the front end were knocked loose, but the front axle also stayed engaged as well, no power to it, but the CAD stayed locked.

If I remeber right you have to get a Posi-Lock to work the front axle the 271 will not work the CAD

well my axle doesnt seem to be staying locked.

i always thought that if the front axle was locked even tho the t-case isnt in 4wd it would bind up on hard turns? looks like i'll be ordering a posilock then.

TJSHOTROD said:
If I remeber right you have to get a Posi-Lock to work the front axle the 271 will not work the CAD

The 271 worked with my CAD without a problem. I just screwed the vacumn switch from my 241 DLD into the 271 and it worked fine.

yes it does have the cad, it was mfd in sept or oct of 01 so its an early 02.

Bobcat698 said:
The 271 worked with my CAD without a problem. I just screwed the vacumn switch from my 241 DLD into the 271 and it worked fine.

Like i said, i THINK its disengaging but the light is staying on, ill crawl under and check the vacuum lines tonight.

Bobcat698 said:

I bet it was still locked and you just didnt know it. Big Bad Dodge had to use a Posi Lock. I know a few people who have done this mod and all of them needed a Posi Lock. I ended up taking out my posi lock and just welded the collar over because I hated it.