Question for you 24V guys.

Flatblack79

Just Ignore Me
I work in the machine shop at an auto repair shop and there has been a 2000 Dodge 2500, 5 speed 4x4 thats basically been abandoned. Production date is 1-00 if it matters. Its had some computer issues from what have been able to gather, something along the lines of the computer wasnt communicating with the engine. Any how had a new computer put in, just to find that the Lift pump had failed taking out the Injection pump. So the truck hasnt been cranked and there is no guarantee that the computer issues have been fixed.

The shop foreman is talking like he is ready to put a lien on it and either sell it or send it to the crusher.

My question is, if i end up with this thing, Would it be worth my money to just get another vp44 and keep the computer, or should i save the money up to convert it to a P 7100 pump if i were to put it in my 1982 GMC Dually?

Also does anyone know if the NV4500 output shafts for the 4x4's are the same length as the 2wd's to where i could just put a 2wd tail housing on it and run it.

Do a p-pump conversion. I'd like to do a p pump conversion on my 24 valve when the VP dies. I feel a p pump has better drivability, more response and better mileage. That's comparing a completely stock 12 to completely stick 24.

Yes the main shaft in a 4 wheel drive is longer than a 2 wheel drive. You'll need a new main shaft and tail housing.

Do a p-pump conversion. I'd like to do a p pump conversion on my 24 valve when the VP dies. I feel a p pump has better drivability, more response and better mileage. That's comparing a completely stock 12 to completely stick 24.

Yes the main shaft in a 4 wheel drive is longer than a 2 wheel drive. You'll need a new main shaft and tail housing.

Thanks for the reply.

Another question. i know it doesn't really matter right now but do these trucks us a speedometer cable or are the gauges electronically controlled?

the mainshaft of a 2wd NV is far longer than a 4x4 NV (if you end up with the truck, ive got a 2wd 4500 i may part out.)

sounds like a 1693 code, usually points the blame at one of the computers, and in my experience a new VP44 fixes it. for drivabilty at or around stock power level, VP's are nice. to clearly reliability is sub par.

Well i would definitely want it to be as reliable as possible, so i guess that would mean i better just go on a bite the bullet and do a p pump conversion. And as for the output shaft I have a good deal through work with a local tranny shop. And if they couldnt do it Garmons Diesel is only 15 min from work.

Last edited:
The dynamic timing of the VP44 makes it really nice for daily driving and towing. Most would argue better then a P7100 I would think.

The 1693 is just a companion code and can show up with any problem I thought?

If i did keep the vp44 what all would i have to keep computer wise to work in a swap. Just the ECM or everything? I would only need the engine monitors.

Depends on your plans for the truck, but I would just fix it with the VP and drive it. Give it good fuel pressure and volume and you shouldn't have many reliability issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Plans for the truck are just to make a nice daily driver. I wouldn't turn it up right off the bat but probably will eventually, nothing crazy. Ill use it to tow the race car around and the boat to the lake. Id want it to be as easy to work on as possible, reliable, and get 15+ mpg.

I'd keep the VP, for what you want to do. They aren't that bad to maintain. Just keep an eye on fuel pressure. Drive ability is awesome with the VP, because you can change tunes on the fly.

I've owned two p-pump 12-valves and four VP 24-valves. Both have had their idiosyncracies, both 12V trucks I had drove me nuts with stutter/stumble and drivability issues I wasn't able to resolve. All VP rigs ran well, two didn't idle perfectly smooth, the other two ran awesome (including the 98.5 I have now) and overall more gratifying to drive than the 12-valves. 12V MPG was generally a bit better, but loaded and towing especially if you have to run in Direct with the RPM up the VP mileage was considerably better.

Last edited:
I would keep the vp also, as others have said correct fuel supply is most of the problem. Especially if you keep stock tuning, they will last a very long time with no problems

If i were to keep the vp44, is the ECM standalone or would i have to keep all of the computers to make it run? I know nothing about EFI gas or diesel.

I know id have to keep the ECM. Are the ECM"s Standalone to where all id have to do is run power to it, reset it and it would run or is there more id have to keep other than the ECM? Obviously all the Engine sensors would have to be kept.

I know id have to keep the ECM. Are the ECM"s Standalone to where all id have to do is run power to it, reset it and it would run or is there more id have to keep other than the ECM? Obviously all the Engine sensors would have to be kept.

I'm slightly retarded... I don't follow you.

Im probably just not wording it right because i have zero experience with EFI and Computers.

Im assuming that there are more than one computer ( or what i would call a computer) in the said truck, '00 dodge 2500 with the NV4500. I was asking if i were to take a 24v engine and kept the vp44 injection and swapped it into my '82 GMC truck. what, computer wise, would i have to keep other than the ECM and engine sensors?

Last edited:
Thanks, BRE, thats what i was wanting to know. Good looking Camaro in your sig BTW. What year is it 79, 80?