Questions about our (new to us) 24V

AMMO22

BANNED
As some of you know, we just got my wife a 99 2500 sport, 24V, auto, and bone stock. Bought it at qualitytradeins (ebay seller) located in Houston. Avoid them at all costs. But about the truck, I'm learning a whole other language now so I'll have some questions until I get rolling around in the engine bay. So here goes.......

What are my options for bypassing the stock lift pump?

Where can I find the fuel filter to replace it and what is the procedure?

I removed the silencer ring last night and figured I'd see what kind of filter the dealership put in it....................I found a K&N that looked as if it had never been cleaned since it was placed in there new. I'm putting a BHAF in there this weekend for her. The turbo had no play in the wheel so at least I'm good there. What else can I check for to prevent a breakdown?

Thanks guys, I'm loving the simplicity of a cummins more and more. LOL

you can do the Glacier Diesel lift pump kit, a FASS (if you like REALLY loud electronic fuel pumps that are "iffy" on reliability), you can do a mechanical driven fuel pump like the MITUSA made by opieparts.com. Personally I ran the FASS on my 3rd gen and hated hated hated it and how loud it was and I had the MITUSA on my 02 and it was great! I couldn't pull it down below 5psi on a full blast off 5x5 comp run. The VP-pump is finicky at best, you want less than 20psi of pressure but always more than 5psi. Lots of options, most of them will be around 400-700 for the parts depending on which one you get. I had twin carter pushers on my 02 that would shut off as soon as the truck fired off and then the mechanical MITUSA would take over.
Isaac

oh and in my opinion if you do the MITUSA get one of these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-88864&N=700+115&autoview=sku filter setups, that way you are filtering down to 2 microns before the fuel even gets to the engine, clean fuel is never a bad thing when you are dealing with the CP3 on the 3rd gens or maybe even more the VP44 on the 2nd gen trucks. The filters are cheap to replace and if you put it inline AFTER the tank but before the engine its easy to replace as well.

The AirDog is the best system I have used. Mine will maintain a constant 18 psi with no drop at full fuel. I is self contained with a prefilter before the pump and with 2 micron filters for final filtration. It can be plumed into the stock filter can, or directly into the VP-44.

So the FASS is loud? What about the AirDog?

Where is the stock fuel filter and the procedure to replace it? I want to at least change that for the time being. After I saw how clogged the air filter was, any other filters have to be changed now. The oil filter I know about, just clueless on the fuel filter. Thanks for the input guys.

Look for fuel canister on driver's side of engine block behind injection pump. remove the lid and replace drop in filter, kinda like your PSD.

Does it have banjo bolts on top of it? I have to do this tomorrow, I hate to imagine what the filter is going to look like. I was instantly pissed when I seen the air filter and called the dealer and asked for a copy of their checklist for inspecting vehicles.

Yeah thats it. Drain all the fuel from the canister by opening the drain valve. Then unsrew the middle nut between your banjo bolts and the canister should just fall off so hold it while your unsrewing it. Then just drop a new filter in. Bout a 10 or 15 minute job.

Awesome!! I'm liking the Cummins the more I learn about it. Simple enough, thanks again guys.

Is there anything else I should check/replace in my attempt to make sure this is a reliable truck with 164K?

Tranny filter/fluid and diffs. Not Cummins related, but often neglected on higher mileage trucks.

Hey fellas, did this truck have the funky crankcase breather that needs cleaning/drained? Me thinks so, but not sure.

I noticed a build up of gunk around the crankcase vent. Thats it on the front of the motor near the VP44 right?

On the trans filter, do I have to drop the trans or just the pan? I think its the pan. Thats a great point Amish, those are parts thats overlooked. Those will be taken care of too. Thanks for the all the help.

just from my experience... I have a FASS 150 and it is nice and quiet! I installed one on my dad's 2000 and it was LOUD, could hear it when truck was idling, but they sent me another pump that runs as quiet as mine and no problems yet(74K)on mine and (20K) on dad's truck.

So if your FASS is really loud then you probably have a defective pump that they would replace under warranty.

Lavon

AMMO22 said:
On the trans filter, do I have to drop the trans or just the pan? I think its the pan. Thats a great point Amish, those are parts thats overlooked. Those will be taken care of too. Thanks for the all the help.

Yeah, just drop the pan and replace the filter. Since this truck is stock, the pan won't have a drain. It's a messy deal, try to drop one corner of the pan first to get the fluid going into a pan. I would also adjust your bands while you're in there. You can put a drain kit on the pan for future service.

You can run the stock pump, just put a Holly Blue inline as a pusher. Power the pusher pump with a relay, trigger the relay off the stock pump power source.

I'm over 500hp, I've been running this system for almost 2 years with no problems.

Replace the lift pump. You might want to try Glacier Diesel Power they have many different lift pump setups. Including there new Fuel Boss a mechanical pump.

The F.A.S.S. set up is a nice deal with its larger fuel filter and water filter, 20psi would not be a problem, while your at it- install a fuel psi gauge, and IMO, if you let it get to 5 psi you are risking damage to the VP injection pump, 7 psi is the minimum I follow by.

LAmiller said:
So if your FASS is really loud then you probably have a defective pump that they would replace under warranty.

Lavon

All the older FASS pumps are loud, we have one on our 06 and haven't gotten around to get the quiet one.

LAmiller said:
just from my experience... I have a FASS 150 and it is nice and quiet! I installed one on my dad's 2000 and it was LOUD, could hear it when truck was idling, but they sent me another pump that runs as quiet as mine and no problems yet(74K)on mine and (20K) on dad's truck.

Lavon

Fass Pumps get louder when there is a restriction from the tank as well.... Every once in a while the suctiontube or qd at top of tank can be an issue. when the FASS has to fight for fuel she groans more.

If you are looking for a Lift Pump and Filtration solution FASS and similar designed systems are great.

RacinDuallie said:
The F.A.S.S. set up is a nice deal with its larger fuel filter and water filter, 20psi would not be a problem, while your at it- install a fuel psi gauge, and IMO, if you let it get to 5 psi you are risking damage to the VP injection pump, 7 psi is the minimum I follow by.
Good Advice.... Fuel Gauge is a MUST with a VP44 truck

i was running the vulcan kit and was really happy from the results...its kind of my own home brew system now. kinda like my version of the crank case vent...i get a little too carried away!