Questions...

wanabepwrstroke

I found a guy selling an 03 cummins common rail he said its the so (standard output) not the ho (high output) I am wondering whats the difference if any? A stronger cp3? Or is it just computer tuning? The so is 305 correct?

He also told me there is no ecu from the dodge truck. The engine is taken out of the truck and can be placed in another dodge truck... Is it worth it to buy this? or should I find something with the computer from the dodge ? I am calling him on Friday to find out more about this I don't know if I need the computer from the dodge truck to swap into a ford??? And I don't really know what he is selling with the engine.

I still dont know if this guy is legit or just wants my money....Will try to get pics from him, some more info and maybe where is he located.

He said it has 55000 km on it and selling it for 6000 ish.

Thanks in advance
Michael

SO for an 03 is 250 hp. 305hp was ho for the 2003. You DO need the ecu from the dodge and all of the dodge acc. for the front of the motor including the fan and even shrouds if you can. So your best bet would be to find a complete package including the harness. But if the price is right you should be fine. Just find out how much a new ecu is first.

You need the Cummins ECM (engine control module) which is bolted onto the driver side of the block and the engine wiring harness that plugs into the ECM. You don't however need any Dodge PCM or ECU. Try to get as much as you can. I have a '04 California SO which is only 235HP, but its all tuning, with a Smarty you start at the 305 HO and add from there.

Is a 5.4 gas truck an option for doing a swap?

I don't want to spend 25000 for a truck and swap the diesel out and the only reason I paid more for the truck was for the diesel I pulled out. I know I need an intercooler but I would get a banks one or something like that... I saw a 5.4 v8 f250 gas truck 07 reg cab 4x4 for 169995 with 10,000km on it and the 6spd manual.

I am wondering is this manual the same in the gas and the diesel trucks for ford with the zf-6?
Is it more work to hook up a diesel into a gas truck? I know I would need to drain or even clean out the gas tank....
I believe it would cost less, no?

Here's my math
ford f250 diesel 07 (assumption on price, don't kill me)
8000 for cummins engine with smarty or poweradder of somekind
800 adapter plate for cummins to ford zf-6
1000 some wires and other stuff
Diesel Total 37300

ford f250 gas 07
8000 for cummins engine
1200 intercooler
800 adapter plate
1000 odds and ends

Gas Total 28000
So the gas truck is cheaper ? ??? ???

Last edited:
If you're buying a truck soley for a Cummins swap...buy the cheapest damned truck you can get your hands on.

Last edited by a moderator: