Quick ?... Do I need to modify a 12V Gasket to run on a 24V CR?

Convicted1

Hey guys...

I need a quick answer to a question if somebody could oblige...

I'm putting an O-ringed head on my truck right now and using a 12V Gasket...

Do I need to modify the 12V Gasket in any way or can I just bolt it on?

The Water Ports are what have me the most confused....

A quick answer would be great!

Thanks!

-David

i know a buddy of mine had one on a 02 24valve not sure about the cr but i would guess so.

Lay the two on top of one another and you should be able to see.

Don't have the Stock MLS gasket anymore...

Truck has been down for over 10 months, and somewhere along those lines the stock gasket was lost.

I'm litterally standing here in the shop dumbfounded trying to figure out what to do... I don't even see HOW you would modify this 12V Gasket if the water holes need to be cut out.

The ports in the block are HUGE compared to the tiny little pinhole in the Gasket... Is this normal?

You need to find a cr gasket and match the water holes imho. Use a block of wood...a step bit....drill slowly and clean up the hole with a razor blade after...

You can run it the way it is. A 12V stock gasket will work okay.
But..... You will be increasing block pressure due to the smaller steam holes. It will carry less heat away from the head, and you increase the chance of a blown gasket or soft plug. You'll want to always make sure that the engine is 100% warmed up before you flog it.
A modified gasket is the best route.

I had good luck with a self modded 24V HG...(except the first time when I didn't do a retorque)...Second time worked great with a warm retorque on stock bolts.

third time went with UN modded 12V HG....Good luck as well

Then the BEST way was when I got the CNC'd 12V HG that matches the CR Block / Head Perfectly!!

It's a shame I know all this!! lol

I tried to use a modified 12V gasket on my CR twice and the water jackets leaked both times. My head is fire ringed and now I am running the MLS gasket that Haisley recomended. It is holding good so far. I would not modify the 12V if I were you. just my experience.

I guess I'm gonna slap it together like it is...

I'll order the CNC gasket when I found out where to get one from and have it ready to go when this blows if ever.

I got this sinking feeling right now that I hate...

I just hope this damn thing stays together awhile... I been forever without it over dumb stuff.. And if this gasket doesn't hold worth a darn I'm gonna be a little annoyed with this whole thing.

LOL... Eh well... Gotta pay to play I suppose.

Yep! He already PM'd me...

I'll get one of them ordered as soon as we get it figured out which I need.

For now... She's going together like it is.

I'm VERY easy on this thing till I know it's warm... So hopefully it'll last at least till next seasons tear down.

We'll see I guess....

I'll post some pictures here in a few when I get the head on! I got some cool stuff that some may not have seen before!

-David

Where does a guy get this CNC'd Gasket and how quick could he have one?

Dude I'm sorry I totally forgot to add that...I was taking a warrant and typing on CompD at the same time...

I got it from Snedge Jeff @ Mumau

ONLY way to fly!!!!

I blew an unmodified 12v gasket the first run out. I have made my best numbers and probably 150 passes with the modified one. Take that for what it's worth.

I'm putting 625's in it....

I was told I had to run the 12Valve gasket with the O-Rings.

Seems I have much to learn...

I'm putting 625's in it....

I was told I had to run the 12Valve gasket with the O-Rings.

Seems I have much to learn...

So many was to skin a kitty man. We are all learning, everyday.:Cheer:

Welp!

Got the head bolted on, 1st of 3 torques has been accomplished....

Now onto trying to remember where the REST of the parts go! LOL

62d52f9d.jpg

Custom Tubular Stainless Intake Manifold by Matt Williams at Overkill Performance in Kansas.

Full Port and Polish by John at Floor It Diesel.

Thanks to Matt at Overkill and John at Floor-It for the kick ass parts.

Last edited:
So many was to skin a kitty man. We are all learning, everyday.:Cheer:

LOL... You know... I was just lookin' at the Title under my username here...

It says "Diesel Pro"....

LMAO... Seems maybe the automatic ranking system here at CompD needs some adjustment! LMAO....

I think I'm gonna change it to Diesel Noob!