Quick help?? p-pump24v timing, just get it close?

BigDctd

Fuel her till she Blow!!
hey im putting the motor all together with the p-pump on! wondering how to get it close to 0 without a dial indicator and all that? just want it close enough to run so i can get the front clip and everything back on, then ill have it timed as soon as the rest of the truck is put together!
im thinking top dead on tnumber one, then there check the hole on the pump and wait till the rack is in the center of the hole???? i have no clue im new to the pumps! any help would be appreciated!

alright might have to explain that one?? and also if the timing marks on the crank gear and cam gear lined up, isnt that tdc?

Put the engine at TDC and pin the pump. It won't have the cam pin on a 24v because of the sensor and adapter. Do you have a timing kit?

What year engine? If its a 98-00 engine, you should be able to pull the cam position sensor off and look through the hole, you will see the hole in the cam gear for where a timing pin would go. That will get you ball park. As would having the front cover off the and going by the alignment marks on the gears. Lastly, you could run one valve down on the #1 a long way. Count the turns from zero lash (not tight, but no play) to where you stop. Go something like 5 turns. Turn the engine until it stops on the valve. Obviously, use some finesse on this, don't try and ram it into the valve. Mark the balancer. Loosen the valve, bar it past TDC. Run the valve down the same distance (important to remember the turns), bar the engine into the valve, mark. The center between these two marks is a TDC. Won't be to the precision of a dial, but if you have a good feel, I would trust it for future timing.