Race Fuel system setup

Supershot

What fuel setup are you 12v guys running on you high hp race trucks with fuel cells? I am looking to setup my truck with a fuel cell and need enough fuel to support a 13 mm pump. What do you all suggest?

I've seen anywhere from 3 Walbro-type 255lph to BIG Magnafuel pumps. Commonly you'll also see FASS's.

Not saying its provin its self yet but from my cell i ran a -8 along the frame to a holley blue and from there it runs into a new cummins factory lift pump. With a little twick of the OFV spring, it idles at 40psi and just nearly pegs the 60# gauge with some rpm/ no load. And a -6 carrys all the left overs back to a -6 bulkhead on the top of the cell. It seems like its going to work well for me, i hope. My biggest question was the injectors return line, what to do with it and if it could be deleted or capped.

aeromotive -12 prefilter, aeromotive eliminator -12 in -10 out, with fleetguard fs1000 filter stand, injection pump, aeromotive bypass regulator set a 50 psi.

on my street truck at 620hp it dosent even move the gauge slightly
im going to use this setup as well on the 3.0/2.8 motor build im doing.

Not saying its provin its self yet but from my cell i ran a -8 along the frame to a holley blue and from there it runs into a new cummins factory lift pump. With a little twick of the OFV spring, it idles at 40psi and just nearly pegs the 60# gauge with some rpm/ no load. And a -6 carrys all the left overs back to a -6 bulkhead on the top of the cell. It seems like its going to work well for me, i hope. My biggest question was the injectors return line, what to do with it and if it could be deleted or capped.
Flare the end of the injector return and tee it into the return line. Wayne told me about it and I did it on mine too.

Flare the end of the injector return and tee it into the return line. Wayne told me about it and I did it on mine too.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13269
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks guys for the rt line info and advise. Next time im up at smileys ill see if they have the tube nut and that end piece, what size is the factory tubbing there for the inj. rt? And i suppose that is a spaecal flare also? I have a reg tubbing flare tool but not sure if it does that 37* or not. Thanks again Ryan

You want #3 an tube nuts & sleeves. the factory return line is 3/16. You will need a 37' flare tool, normal brake line flare tool is 45', some people have had luck using the 45' with the 37' male flare, you might have to tighten the snot out of it to mate the seal

scot

Thanks Scot, when i upgrade my filter setup and increase line sizes this will def. be part of the upgrade. Thanks Again. Ryan

When I flared mine, I used a brake line tool to start it so it would be doubled, then finished it off with a 37* tool.

Great advise there too, ive since looked at my tool its the reg. 45* flare, im looking around for a inexpensive simple 37* tool to buy for this job later. I suppose i could try it with the 45* and see if it holds pressure, but always like doing things right the first time.. Alls working well for now as it is, its all plumbed together just as it was from the factory, just the filter housing is no longer bolted to the intake, it is bolted a couple feet away over on the firewall. I suppose when i change this system depends on how i do this sat. night at the track. If it mantaines pressure and supplys enough fuel through the tiny lines then i suppose i'll leave it alone at least untill i see a restriction the fuel volume. Has guys made big numbers with the factory setup or at about what level would you say its manditory to increase line size to mantaine volume? This is probally to generic of a question, really just wondering if people make 600+ ponies on the stock setup, assuming the pressures are up to par or have been modified as i have done? Thanks guys. Ryan