Racing Billet S475

amaupin04

roxanne04
Guys that's ran a single 475 on the track, without the hassle of pulling the converter and sending it back to Phil to have it loosened (factory stall) I'm trying to get it to come up a little bit easier, first pass on the new turbo and tuning my first pass leaving @ 18psi it had serious lag (2.01 60") but ran a 9.14 at 96.88mph. I'm thinking a turbo blanket will help out with this from what I've read but didn't know if their was any other added help besides No2.
Also, going to try a few other tunes from Lavon which also do the trick but thought id get some ideas.

Thanks guys.

18psi is pretty good man. If I left any higher than 15psi it would blow the tires off. This was with a 475/83/.90

Well, it was an actual event racing for $ so I was a little rushed but that's my fault for not testing before I took it there. I'm going to try leaving harder but the spool time is really what was taking the time up so I go ancy and bumped in and staged

R-Rated, thanks for the reply in no way shape or form was I smoking the tires off leaving @ 18psi once it lights it would chirp but not leaving the line. This was on a not so prepped track either.

bump TTT

I realize all trucks are different but maybe some input on what kinda boost you guys leave the line at/Tire pressures anything really..thanks

tickle gas for the turbo. Other than that, you can cheat it and run your oil hotter and it will slip more.

Just an FYI Artie, I launch my truck at 25-27psi on my 475. It seems to like it and it does consistent 1.60-1.63 60ft times. Trying launching harder. That is my first guess. It may be something to consider to go back with a stock stall converter.

Just an FYI Artie, I launch my truck at 25-27psi on my 475. It seems to like it and it does consistent 1.60-1.63 60ft times. Trying launching harder. That is my first guess. It may be something to consider to go back with a stock stall converter.

I agree with this. I ran 5 different variations of S475s on my previous race truck. The 83mm wheel took longer to come up on boost at the line than the 87mm wheel (I much prefer the 87mm turbine wheel btw) but despite that I always left no lower than 20# and less than 27#. I found it hard to keep it from pushing through the lights after 25# because the turbo was just begging for more fuel. My truck was fairly similar to yours. 05 4x4 Quad cab full interior. 5.9 with Smarty TNT-R tuning, B&B sidemount intake, 6.7 head, 100% over exergys, built top end, stock bottom end inlcuding cam, dual CP3s, S475/87/.90 T-4 and Stainless T-4 Manifold. I have a few videos of the gauges at the line, so you can watch how my boost/drive/egts flucuate during the staging process. I'll PM you my number for the links.

One other thing I might add. I removed 2 leaves in the rear and ran caltracs with QA1 adjustable shocks front and rear. Have the adjustability made it easier to leave harder without spinning the tires. Takes a bit of playing with it to tailor it to the truck, but I would launch, feel the truck try and spin the tires for a split second, then I could feel the caltracs force the axle back down and I was gone. Left so hard after lock up everybody swore I was running nitrous. Lol Pretty consistant 1.65-1.7 0-60' on a cold track as well.

Edit: Just saw you wanted tire pressures. Front 36# and rear 32# on Nitto 420s, 305/50R20s.

Last edited:
Here's one I had on my YouTube account, This is the box stock S475/83/.90 T-4 I ran for a long time. Boost on the left, drive in the middle, and EGTs on the right. Pay special attention to how the turbo tried to take off as the lights fell and I had to get out of it for a split second launching around 22#. Then heading down the track it carries about 48-50# of boost vs 65-70# of drive. I found that with the 83mm wheel drive was almost always above boost. Usually by 5# minimum. The 87mm wheel was opposite, with drive always under boost by 5-10#.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jd8cAZgu1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jd8cAZgu1I[/ame]

While not directly rated to the topic at hand, I noticed that my overall boost dropped 10# at full throttle after installing the side mount intake, and I was able to gain .2 in the 1/4. The 87mm turbine wheel and side mount intake combo made for a very street friendly DD/race truck.

I've only tried twice, but at least you can build SOME boost. Although I've only tried on level 1 on the switch, I wasn't able to build any. I will need to send mine in I believe.