racing driveshaft loops rules

feo47

hi, kinda new at this. i have a 2005 ram 3500 4x4 diesel with mods listed in my signature below. my truck is currently having the head ported and polished and gettin titanium double valve springs and retainers and 625+ head studs also adding PPE dual CP3 kit. question is can i just put on front and read driveshaft loops or do i need U-joint shields also? if i need shields do i need them on all four or just on the rear joint? would like to be within guideline to run at local tracks. thanks in advance for any input.

hi, kinda new at this. i have a 2005 ram 3500 4x4 diesel with mods listed in my signature below. my truck is currently having the head ported and polished and gettin titanium double valve springs and retainers and 625+ head studs also adding PPE dual CP3 kit. question is can i just put on front and read driveshaft loops or do i need U-joint shields also? if i need shields do i need them on all four or just on the rear joint? would like to be within guideline to run at local tracks. thanks in advance for any input.
get a N.H.R.A rule book.

Here are sections from the NHRA rulebook (but you really need to get your own to read all the info for racing):

NHRA-Driveline-Loop1a.jpg

NHRA-Driveline-Loop2a.jpg

They're required for 13.99 or quicker if on slicks, or 11.49 or quicker on street tires. However, I would recommend them for anyone with significant modifications. A loose driveline can lead to a "pole vault" rollover. My fast cars have dual loops, as even the rear of a driveline can cause significant damage and work its way into the cockpit. Even with my rear loop, I got my arm smacked by the rearend yoke and flange when a pinion sheared.

The rulebook is not very clear about front drivelines, but it would appear that the same rules apply (and the loop should be on the front portion).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

My loops will put you in the nine second club.....Just ask Gabby:rockwoot:

My loops will put you in the nine second club.....Just ask Gabby:rockwoot:

Hellman makes a sweet bolt on driveline loop. I have them on my mega cab and we put a set on Gabbys truck also.

I also run dual loops, ive broken so many drive line parts that its the only way to go. When something lets loose, you can just hook up to it and pull it back to the trailer, without them id already beat the whole underside of this old truck up. Only neg. is it to can damage the driveshaft after a failure also.. but far better than the alternative.

Joe makes quality stuff, I know, I have them on my truck too

Kevin