racing tires?

tcs 91

so what do you think? slicks in the back only with the same dia regular tires in the front with a 4wd 1st gen[4 wd all the way down the track]? ooorrr- something like proxes all the way around? tc

i think the proxes look badass, you could also do like M/T cheater slicks at all four corners

if you are running a 4x4 slicks are a waste of time IMHO. I am runnig 10's on falken stz's and no problems at all... slicks only work if you can warm them up,... and there is no way to warm up the front ones

Kevin

Like I said earlier, if you are running a 4x4, slicks or drag radials are going to be a waste of time. A drag radial or a slick is actually more slippery unless you warm it up.... So even if you were able to do a burn out (which is tough if you have a lot of HP, (because you will have most of your tq management turned on or else you will go through a tranny pretty much every race) ) all you would accomplish is to warm up the back tires,, which dosent help you, it is the front tires will spin first anyways, so now all you have done is put extra strain on your transfer case.

I do not get any tire spin at all on the rear,, and minimal on the front, and I am quite confident that after the winter the changes I am making to my suspension will fix that problem

Kevin

We run M&H racemaster 30x14.50 seem to launch well but not great. What you say makes sense, however gotta listen to my coach. Not even close to your level, need all the help we can get.. Thanks

my m&h racemasters are way softer than any other "street" radial. how could they be more slippery???

just because they are softer, dosent mean they will grip,, the way that they design the compound is that it has to be hot.... Cold they are worse than a regular street radial... I have done a lot of racing, both drag and circle track. Cold slicks are like driving on ice.

I run my falken stz's at around 18 to 20 psi, and I do not spin... I launch hard too.. I have done 1.5 60's but in the effort of making my tranny last I am now high 1.6's

Kevin

We run the 285/17 Proxes, since they are the smallest diameter/widest tread with the best weight capacity.

Pretty big difference when dropping down from 37"s & 38"s.

just because they are softer, dosent mean they will grip,, the way that they design the compound is that it has to be hot.... Cold they are worse than a regular street radial... I have done a lot of racing, both drag and circle track. Cold slicks are like driving on ice.

I run my falken stz's at around 18 to 20 psi, and I do not spin... I launch hard too.. I have done 1.5 60's but in the effort of making my tranny last I am now high 1.6's

Kevin
Track prep is one of the most important parts!!!I've ran both the proxies and cheater slicks,theres no way that the proxies will 60' better then the slicks!!!I've personally seen 1-2.5 tenths difference in the 60' at the same track same day...

Like I said earlier, if you are running a 4x4, slicks or drag radials are going to be a waste of time. A drag radial or a slick is actually more slippery unless you warm it up.... So even if you were able to do a burn out (which is tough if you have a lot of HP, (because you will have most of your tq management turned on or else you will go through a tranny pretty much every race) ) all you would accomplish is to warm up the back tires,, which dosent help you, it is the front tires will spin first anyways, so now all you have done is put extra strain on your transfer case.

I do not get any tire spin at all on the rear,, and minimal on the front, and I am quite confident that after the winter the changes I am making to my suspension will fix that problem

Kevin
i totally disagree, it all depends upon how the truck is setup and track prep plays a huge role as well.on the duramax run m&h nastalgia drags and cut consistent 1.3x 60fts time after time.not gonna do that on street tires.as far as the tranny not lasting ran all last season on a suncoast tranny,and during the winter freshen up Ron said all the clutches looked perfect...

Well I am not sure how torque managment works on a ally to be honest, all I know is that i start removing tq mngt on my truck, I will eat a tranny in about 3 runs.. as long as i leave the tq mngt at close to stock the tranny lives.

I agree that track prep makes all the difference, and even cold slicks can hook up on a well prepped track,,, but if you try to launch cold slicks on a poorly preped track you will be in trouble... If you can do some warm up of the tires you will do ok,, but you cant warm up the fronts,, and in my mind that is just asking for trouble, putting a lot of extra strain on my transfer case.

JMO

Kevin

Cant even compare a circle track tire to a drag tire. The compound is made for endurance. The duromiter readings on a circle track tire are way higher then a drag tire. I've also used both since I had some of my sprint car LR's laying around. Even when warmed up the roundy round Hoosiers read 55. My M&H's will get close to 30 (If I do a Burnout) and start out @ 55. I can cut 1.63's (No Burnout) with the M&H's and could only get a best of 1.71 with regular tires. Warming up the rear's and keeping the front cold, is a no go for my truck. I've felt it lock the front @ launch (Guessing not enough room to lock the diff). I'll keep everything together a little longer with no burnout.

Last edited:
this duramax iam referring to has 47re tranny in it because the ally couldnt handle the power,there is no tq managment in the programming wfo all the time.also on the dmax with the slicks there is no burnout of even the rear tires,we dust them off and one small hop launch then roll.if you are eating trannys that fast you may need to try another company ...

My truck is around 7000 # and has well over a 1000 hp. NADP has done a ton of work to make trannys live in my truck. There is many trick items in my tranny to make it live. I have been running 10.8's with this truck and I do that on a set of falken stz 04... 305 50 r 20 which are 32" tall. I launch at around 15 psi with stock tq managment, my 60' are in the 1.6's. When I turned off the tq management I was launching somewheres around 25ish (to hard to keep track as it would come up so fast) and I had a personal best of a 1.4 something 60' (no nitrous) and I still never spun the tires.... I am 44 have been drag racing since I was 16, if you arent spining your slicks without warming them up, you dont have enough hp. I had a 500 hp gasser that ran high 11's and if I didnt warm up the slicks,, it was like driving on ice... it is simple, they are designed to be warm... street tires do not like heat, hence why you do not do a burnout on a street tire,, a roundy roundy slick is better if you a determined to run a slick on our trucks, as they dont have to be heated up as much to be effective

Kevin

I agree with Kevin a slick must be heated 30*f hotter than the track surface temperature for them to work properly.

Malcolm

Yeah,, and Malcolm would know,, hell he is even having troubles with traction with big slicks warmed up well!!

BTW Malcolm,, I think I have my turbo issue all figured out,, Ill give you a call one of these days and let you know what I got up my sleeve

BTW, Merry Christmas, and a happy new year

Last edited:
My truck is around 7000 # and has well over a 1000 hp. NADP has done a ton of work to make trannys live in my truck. There is many trick items in my tranny to make it live. I have been running 10.8's with this truck and I do that on a set of falken stz 04... 305 50 r 20 which are 32" tall. I launch at around 15 psi with stock tq managment, my 60' are in the 1.6's. When I turned off the tq management I was launching somewheres around 25ish (to hard to keep track as it would come up so fast) and I had a personal best of a 1.4 something 60' (no nitrous) and I still never spun the tires.... I am 44 have been drag racing since I was 16, if you arent spining your slicks without warming them up, you dont have enough hp. I had a 500 hp gasser that ran high 11's and if I didnt warm up the slicks,, it was like driving on ice... it is simple, they are designed to be warm... street tires do not like heat, hence why you do not do a burnout on a street tire,, a roundy roundy slick is better if you a determined to run a slick on our trucks, as they dont have to be heated up as much to be effective

Kevin

i understand all about trick tranny parts have got a few myself.here is the thing,your truck weights 7000 lbs and runs 10.8s in the 1/4 the duramax runs a full second faster than that in the 1/4, 6.0x in the 8th a few dozen times. it does spin the tires a bit when it leaves the line with the slicks. they hook up much better than street tires we have tried.as far as not spinning non heated slicks and not having enough power,looking at track times and weight the dmax puts more hp to the track with non heated slicks than you are,so perhaps what works for some doesnt work for others.as far as tranny i have met and spoken with Barry and he is a top notch guy.the Suncoast tranny in the dmax aka has not had a breaksince the initial software tuning issues have been worked out....

We must be running different circle track slicks. My slicks dont start really "Working" until lap two of a 1/2mi. track. I could not get them to hook on my Camaro no matter how hot I got them. They only had one night of racing on them, and were not glazed. The only thing I like about them for our trucks would be the stiff ass sidewall. What kind of circle track slick did you try on the truck?