Rail Pressure Box ???'s

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
So Im trying to decide which way to go to control my rail pressure.....And Im kind of Piggy Backing off D45's post.

Here are my current options:

TST R49

Diablo Power Puck

Smarty

Now I haven't tinkered with the Smarty on the rail Pressure side of things, just mainly fuel. I like the Power puck being that it comes with the Diablo Dial and its about the only thing that can be tuned on the fly. Problem is with that, is one of the connectors is a bit corroded and is quite finicky. And after contacting Diablo, their only answer is just to buy another puck....

Im not a huge fan of the TST. I ran one on a twined Mega with just twins and it was..... kinda rough on it. Granted Im running 2 pumps, big sticks and Good sized twins. So it might be a different story.

And I haven't messed with the Smarty to see what it will do.

I have all three, so which is the best? Its a daily driver, but I want to add some RP to give it a bit more get up and go. Plus the truck likes a bit of RP to keep it happy

Let me know what you find or figure out

Need more RP on my early 2004 (305/555)

UDC would be my choice.

I haven't read this other thread you speak of though.

Edge ez or MP8 is what folks used to run.

Brett Williams at II said to lower lift pump pressure to 13 psi and this will increase rp

UDC would be my choice.

Ive just recently got back into a CR after a few other diesels, so Im not too up to date on UDC other than what it is. Guess I need to do a bit more research. Although I already have 3 programmers, adding on has to be worth it.

Brett Williams at II said to lower lift pump pressure to 13 psi and this will increase rp

Mine floats right around there. I ran the Powerpuck for a bit, but one of the connectors is pretty oxidized and Ive tried to clean it, but its a crap shoot. When it works, its a whole different truck and runs amazingly, but just driving it surges and goes dead pedal off and on. Now that its warming up I really want to get it scrubbed and working good. I just like the idea of adjusting my RP on the fly to suit my driving conditions.

As of right now, my RP floats at 10K just running down the road and peaks at 15K and floats a bit too much for my liking. Im guessing its from the stock RP setting and the big sticks wanting more than whats supplied.

Has anyone ever tested this? I've been running mine at 20psi. Have consistent 24k rail pressure with the smarty on rp 2 or 3, can't remember for sure.

Back when we used to run a RP box, the Dr. P units worked the best for us. We might even have a couple still around that we would be more then happy to sell.

I have found exactly the opposite in terms of lift pump to rail pressure, I have found that as you increase lift pump pressure, you also increase rail pressure. To the point that if you are starting to run out of CP3 you can really jam some pressure to them (80-100psi on Cummins units) and it will eek out a bit more fuel. We data log both of those pressures.

I had an mp8 box, worked great, now using UDC and zero need for an external pressure box, all the pressure I could possibly want is under my right foot.

UDC would be my choice.

The Edge Ez only has a coulpe different settings.
I ran one on this truck for a while but i had no way to dial in the pressure where it it was needed.
The Ts mp8 and Diablo is pretty much the same being the diablo was cheaper $250
The smarty would do about the same as the edge ez settings Although i never tried the newer smartys
I was debating on the ats atomizers?

I would disagree i drove it a week before i noticed the lift pump wasn't working
It drove no different
I have even tried bigger bore rails
the airdog had orginally a 15psi spring in it. I even changed it to a 18psi it currently has now

To the point that if you are starting to run out of CP3 you can really jam some pressure to them (80-100psi on Cummins units) and it will eek out a bit more fuel. We data log both of those pressures.

Thats awesome.

Any issues with longevity?

Sounds like a competition only deal.

I still use my Dr. P with a switch. No complaints here. I don't have UDC for my Smarty, so I just keep rp on 1 or 2 and flip the switch when I need a little more.

I use an MP8, I've been using it for years and I'm pretty happy with it.

UDC is a good option.

Keep your RP below 20k when cruising for normal stuff, it'll keep your injectors happier.

I still use my Dr. P with a switch. No complaints here. I don't have UDC for my Smarty, so I just keep rp on 1 or 2 and flip the switch when I need a little more.

This is how we did it too.

I have also seen it on a WOT switch similar to a nitrous setup.

Interesting...did Brett explain why?

I've liked the TS-MP8 for rail pressure. It's super easy to reach down and twist the knob for a little kick in the pants, and turn it back off again for injector longevity.

--Eric

Back