Ranger 2.3 Turbo Diesel

oldschoolPSD

My Trucks are Obsolete
I just picked up a '84 Ranger Turbo Diesel the other week, and finally got around to fooling with it.

Does anyone know how to turn the pump on these trucks?

Who even built the motor, ford? Or is it a mitsu or something? I know its factory, its got an owners manual and all...

l_119264d45e9a3b6b7de1240cdb687881.jpg

Nvm, I got it figured out. It's a Mitsubishi 4D55 Turbo. I ordered the books and all for it.

Anyone know were to find one of these little engines at? I need one for a ranger.

Andy

oldschoolPSD said:
I just picked up a '84 Ranger Turbo Diesel the other week, and finally got around to fooling with it.

Does anyone know how to turn the pump on these trucks?

Who even built the motor, ford? Or is it a mitsu or something? I know its factory, its got an owners manual and all...

l_119264d45e9a3b6b7de1240cdb687881.jpg
I saw that in your sig today that is cool. hows it runnin now?

I have an '86 with the turbo diesel. It is a Mitsubishi. I have never turned up the pump, parts looked a little to spendy if I was to break something. I get 30-35mpg depending on fuel blend and driving habits.

You can find some tech info here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.htm

I don't plan on ever selling that truck, I love it. Does yours have a manual or auto?

mines got the 5 speed OD tranny...

the pump turning will have to wait until tommorow because my PSD bent a pushrod and i've been half the week fooling with it. I do have the service manual now and new timing belts for it because i want to install them when i take the pump off. I also got some 3" conduit from a jobsite and a big air filter from NAPA so its getting some intake and exhaust too. I still need to order gauges for it though.

I also need to find some kind of tach to set it up with so I don't blow that motor up... I hear they're hard to get parts for

Thats cool I have never seen one but heard of them, the closest I have found was a Toyota pickup in Yuma in the Penny Trader, I was going to look at it but my work truck broke down and I limped it back to Phoenix. I also remember the Luv trucks with a diesel too.