Ratchet Shifter

For a bracket racer it's most likely a consistency thing. With a full manual, especially constant pressure VB, as long as mechanically possible, the trans will be as consistent as the driver makes it.

Sent from my flashscan v2

It would be the same with a ratchet shifter and standard valve body. The driver still controls every up shift. If you hold it in first it will stay there

Not necessarily, with a standard when you upshift sometimes it hesitates before it shifts.

With a standard automatic valve body, the upshift is controlled by the PCM. Yes, if you hold it in manual 1, it will remain in manual 1. But, if you are in manual 1 and upshift to 2nd, the transmission will not necessarily shift into 2nd gear right away. Same with the uupshift from 2nd to 3rd. It will make the upshift when the PCM tells it to. Your shift rpm will vary based on APPS reading, govenor pressure, and throttle valve pressure. That goes for each and every upshift. That's why you can just put it in 3rd/drive and drive it through town without having to touch anything.

For a daily driver, that's not necessarily a bad thing. When I first got into diesels 6 or 7 years ago, that's how my daily driver was setup. It worked well for what it was. I liked having my lockup switch, OD switch, and gear shift all in one location.

With a standard automatic valve body, the upshift is controlled by the PCM. Yes, if you hold it in manual 1, it will remain in manual 1. But, if you are in manual 1 and upshift to 2nd, the transmission will not necessarily shift into 2nd gear right away. Same with the uupshift from 2nd to 3rd. It will make the upshift when the PCM tells it to. Your shift rpm will vary based on APPS reading, govenor pressure, and throttle valve pressure. That goes for each and every upshift. That's why you can just put it in 3rd/drive and drive it through town without having to touch anything.

For a daily driver, that's not necessarily a bad thing. When I first got into diesels 6 or 7 years ago, that's how my daily driver was setup. It worked well for what it was. I liked having my lockup switch, OD switch, and gear shift all in one location.

I am working with an rh so it will do what it's told. Why does it hesitate when manually going from first to second?

On my 47re it wont shift at wot until it gets to the govenor. So even if I shift it with my ratchet shifter at 2800 rpm it wont shift until 3200 or so. And also its a delayed shift. With my 727 torqueflight with a manual valve body its in whatever gear you put it in. The manual valve body also ups the line pressure so it holds the clutches tighter and has a more possitive shift rather then a slide to the next gear.

I bought a lokar originally Eric, but I wouldn't race with it since you could skip gears accidentally. I can show you how much of a pain it was to try to fit a megashifter under a manual console. It has to go through the floor and gets really close to trans. I'll sell you the one I was working on pretty cheap with a manual trans shift lever and knob if you'd like now that I decided to just go with a cheetah. Here's the vid of mine in progress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biX6s44V4Wg
I think the vid you are thinking of is a guy sled pulling with a B&M starshifter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhytPzR6AGw

Are you sure thats a star shifter? when he pulls it down there is no reverse lockout like on the star shifters. it almost looks like he pulls it up.

Are you sure thats a star shifter? when he pulls it down there is no reverse lockout like on the star shifters. it almost looks like he pulls it up.

To me its hard to tell but that looks a lot more like a B&M quick silver.

I was almost thinking the same thing. I like how with the star shifter you can go from detent to ratchet though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back