rcsb half ton 12 valve

vandutch

hey guys,
Ive been doing alot of research and absolutely love CompD. I am wanting to do a swap and build a half ton 12 valve. I was going to use the 4bt but for the price. The 12v is cheaper and needs nothing where as the 4bt was looking for a rebuild. So 12v it is. I am only going 2wd as im going for fuel economy and just to have something no body else has in my area. I have the option of going with a few different set ups and this is where im looking for advice from you guys.
1st set up. 97 rcsb 2wd 5speed. stock it has the 3.9 v6 which would be replaced with the 12v backed by the nv4500 or

or the second set up is same as the first but instead of being manual id go an auto with manual VB.

Just wondering on what you guys would reccomend doing and what you would do for a front a rear diff set up. Can i get away with running 3/4 ton springs instead of swapping out the front end and what about a rear diff. I have a complete diff out of a 2500 but could i get away with running the stock diff and if i could how long would it survive?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I appreciate every bit of advice you have. Also I have full access to 2 deisel techs which both are on board to help me out with any troubles i may run into.

Personally I would do the auto, for fuel mileage stick with the stock rearend. If you don't try any hard launches it will survive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The 9.25 can put up with a lot. I have seen a few bad trans tuning days turn into full throttle shifts causing the tires to break loose in overdrive, not just because of power, because of the slam of the trans. Pretty sure if you are just looking for a daily, you will be fine. We run the 3/4 springs up front and 2" drop shackles on the rear for a level stance.

Awesome. Thanks so much guys. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I will post pics once I get started. Hopefully have all the parts home and ready to do the swap by mid October and be finished it just in time to put it away for winter. Haha.
Thanks again!

Steve

Well. The project has changed quite a bit. I have all the parts home now. But since going 12 valve and 5 speed. I've gone 24 valve and auto. I ended up getting a killer deal on a 2000
2wd reg cab ram. So I'm going to strip it. Send it out and a buddy of mine is going to shorten the frame then I'm going to put it all back together and have the fun times of plug and play programming. The stripping process starts tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my before and after pics and a few of the job along the way.

Well.. I haven't heard my diesel run in over 3 weeks. And at one point I even cancelled my plan. But we're back on track. I picked up a complete short box half ton truck the other day that's completely rust free. A rare option for Ontario! Lol. But it did have an engine but I didn't need that 5.2 anyway. Haha. So everything is off to a great start now. I will start posting pics once I figure out how to and will hopefully have everything stripped and ready to go by Friday but spare time is a hard thing to find lately. Be patient and I will take many pics all along the way. Should be fun once it's done. That or ill finish it just in time to put it away for winter.

I have a 2000 rcsb that originally had the 5.2L v8 in it. I came across a really good deal on a whole truck which was a 1995 12v. Pulled the gasser and the 12v fit perfectly back in its spot. Kept the half ton rear end. I originally had to put 3/4 ton springs in but after getting smaller tires I put my drop springs back in. Sitting side by side, my 2000 1/2 ton next to the 1995 2500, everything matched up. So far so good. Eventually a few things may need to be beefed up but until then, Ive not had any probs. As far as fuel mileage, driving from midland to dallas and back she got 22mpg's rolling on 22s wrapped in 305/40/22. Couldnt be any happier. Good luck with your swap and cant wait to see pics :)

Last edited:
Back