re-gearing an F-450

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
Im throwing around the idea of re-gearing an '05 F-450. dana 110 rear axle. has anyone seen a set of 3:73's or 4:10's for that axle?

Gibson

I hope someone out there has, This has been a question That i've been pursueing for a while now for our Fire Trucks.. Was told theres a company that made the gears, the guy just couldn't remeber the name

I believe ford has the gearsets. 4W is the 4.10 gearset from an ambulance package 450. Its a limited slip carrier.

The following lists the gear ratios on rear axles.

37 — 3.73 non-limited slip
3L — 3.73 limited slip
41 — 4.10 non-limited slip
43 — 4.30 non-limited slip
48 — 4.88 non-limited slip
4L — 4.30 limited slip
4N — 4.10 limited slip
4W — 4.10 limited slip (ambulance package)
53 — 5.38 non-limited slip
5L — 5.38 limited slip
8L — 4.88 limited slip

I heard the ring gear is riveted on to the carrier on those things, so you gotta drill all the rivets :bang

sweet! now just to find the gears in stock haha it'll be interesting to do the swap. i've never been insade that axle before. and teh rivet dilema. im sure i could tap some threads in and put some bolts inplace of rivets. i would assume they are simaler to the rivets that hold the over load bump stops to the frame ???

Ford doesn't rivet the gear to the carrier.

Step 11 of dissasembly.

Remove the 12 ring gear bolts.

Maybe its the 135 or whatever the next size up rear was.... I remember my friend who's a diesel tech at Ford telling me about having to do that before.

S130 has bolts as well. The 650-750 with the Dana Spicer single reduction and the Dana two speed rear have nuts on the ring gears since they are on ring gear support cases.

I believe Superior Axle has the gears for the 450 as well, I just saw at ad for them in Diesel Power, Gonna call them Monday and see what they have... Guess I'll call ford too about the 4.10 as well

Ouch, I called Ford Yesterday on Gears for our F450s and I can get 4.10's for 621.83 Front and 632.83 Rear.. Parts only

Back