read all 16 pages, still have questions.

ashby

Hey guys, I just joined up, I came here from CF, my VP44 just bit the dust and I'm seriously thinking of p-pumping since I've heard so many good things about them. I figured I would come here since there seems to be a lot more info on here. Anyways..

I've read all the pages, and I want to know all the info on this.. First of all,
I have a 00 24v, 6spd, 2wd, Dana 80 rear end, 5" tbe, bhaf, 144k miles. Other than that completely stock...

I DD this truck, pull some decently heavy loads (under 10k though).
I work for a trucking company and have tons of diesel hookups through my boss and his buddies, so parts locating shouldn't be a big problem at all, but I just want to know everything I need to know before starting this..

I'm not looking for gobs and gobs of power, because I want to keep it streetable, and be able to tow without melting pistons and clouding up the whole neighborhood, and get around 20mpg if possible..

Also want to keep the cost minimal without cutting corners.

Now to the questions.

Will 12v injectors fit the 24v engine? I know the lines are different.. What size injectors as well?

What size lines should I use, and what size (power) pump should I use..

How do I tell which pump is which? And can I just take a pump off another truck and install it (along with the correct parts) to my 24v, or will I have to mod the pump before it hits the engine?

Is there any write ups on how to time the pump?

Since I've read I don't need to get a new cam, I can use a electric fuel pump.. Will the stock fuel filter canister hold up to 45+ psi?

I need some more info on delivery valves, fuel plates, and gsks..

Thanks guys!!

Sorry.. I went through all 16 pages, and read anything that pertained to my questions..

No the injectors will not work.

Fuel lines use .084.

You will be able to tell by the pump number on the plate what pump it is. Do a search there are a few threads with different pump numbers. Depending on what power level you want is where the pump selection will come into play. Any will do you just fine.

You'll want to pin the pump at TDC before you take it off or if you are sending it to a shop they can do it for you. That way when you put it on the engine (which should also be at TDC) the timing will be correct.

There are a lot of write ups on pump timing and how to do it. Some prefer drop valve method and some use the Snap-On or Blue Point kit where you take the number 1 delivery valve off and go by plunger lift. If you send the pump off to get timed and checked then you can have the shop pin the pump at a certain degree of timing. As far as what degree, it will depend on what turbo, injectors, delivery valves, and head gasket thickness.

There has been a few different right ups of the fuel pumps used. Anything from FASS and Airdogs to Holley Blues and Aeromotive A1000 pumps.

There is a lot of information on this site about it and it might take some digging or PM a few of the guys that have done the swap.

With the proper pump setup the stock injectors will be fine. Why not go to a shop that knows what they are doing...it would save you a lot of headaches.

Because I don't have the extra money to pay a shop.. I can do it no problems, as soon I read a how to or something like that I can do it..

I work for a trucking company, but I am no diesel mechanic.. But my boss is and hes a real good guy and has tons of hookups so this swap will be cake, but I just want to know all the odds and ends of it.

you'll need P-pump conversion lines from scheid or haisley, a 12 valve timing case, 12 valve throttle assembly with the pedal, cables, etc.....you'll be fine with any of the p-pumps (160-180-215) as far as a fuel plate and DV's, you'd be pretty good with a #10 plate and 181 dv's, 191's or full cuts would be too much fuel if your gonna keep your stock turbo. its a pretty straightforward swap, the only tough part i think will be getting your fuel shutoff solenoid to work

you'll need P-pump conversion lines from scheid or haisley, a 12 valve timing case, 12 valve throttle assembly with the pedal, cables, etc.....you'll be fine with any of the p-pumps (160-180-215) as far as a fuel plate and DV's, you'd be pretty good with a #10 plate and 181 dv's, 191's or full cuts would be too much fuel if your gonna keep your stock turbo. its a pretty straightforward swap, the only tough part i think will be getting your fuel shutoff solenoid to work

You don't need the pedal assembly, just the cable... it works fine with my stock pedal on my 02.

I read those lol..

Guys I really appreciate the help so far!

In order to run a 12v lift pump, I need a cam with the pump lobe.. Now Does this cam also have to be made for a 24v as well?

I read those lol..

Guys I really appreciate the help so far!

In order to run a 12v lift pump, I need a cam with the pump lobe.. Now Does this cam also have to be made for a 24v as well?

I got my cam from member COMP461 and I had the option of getting one with a lobe for a mechanical fuel pump, so yes you can go that route...

Ok cool, I was figuring that..

Where is a good place to buy this stuff? Who has the best prices?

i can get you the conversion lines for a really good price from haisley, PM me what you'll need and i'll figure it out for you

Do you want to buy the whole kit, or just the custom stuff like the cam, fuel lines and cam sensor adapter? Member Odieub was selling a whole kit that had everthing you needed except the lines and adapter for $700 I think. Member Help Me Push has a set for sale too... though his name changes weekly LOL

Well since I have a 00 I don't need a sensor relocate do I?

And yes, I'm planning on getting a 12v engine to get parts from, so I'll just be needing the custom stuff..

Back