Real World Injector advice for 3rd Gen....

JacktheBear3

Enthusiast
I've been told, that there is a limit to injectors in a 3rd gen where you will begin to lose the power gain due to the rail being drained. I don't own a 3rd gen so I have no first hand experience....

So the question is: What injectors have you run to get max power out of 3rd gen without the dreaded rail drain ?

- or -

At what point did you reach the point of diminished return?

W

On a stock CP3, 90hp DDP injectors work great wether you use a lift pump or not. My 8040 pound dually with no aftermarket lift pump trapped 103 in the quarter, while my 06 2500 trapped 112 with the stock cp3 and airdog lift pump.

JacktheBear3 said:
I've been told, that there is a limit to injectors in a 3rd gen where you will begin to lose the power gain due to the rail being drained. I don't own a 3rd gen so I have no first hand experience....

So the question is: What injectors have you run to get max power out of 3rd gen without the dreaded rail drain ?

- or -

At what point did you reach the point of diminished return?

W

as long as you upgrade the cp3 or add dual cp3's, you will never drain the rail no matter the injector size.

973604x4 said:
as long as you upgrade the cp3 or add dual cp3's, you will never drain the rail no matter the injector size.

I know this.... but I wanted to know the point at which this happens for future needs.... I have resisted selling customers injectors due to rail pressure drop. I want to sell more sticks so I'm needing to know.

You can run a 90hp injector at most on a stock cp3 and still allow some tuning, but I don't know why you would want to buy injectors for that level of mods.

On my old setup, i could drain the rail to 0 with stock injectors. It's all about tuning the fueling.

973604x4 said:
You can run a 90hp injector at most on a stock cp3 and still allow some tuning, but I don't know why you would want to buy injectors for that level of mods.

On my old setup, i could drain the rail to 0 with stock injectors. It's all about tuning the fueling.

I don't recall the list of mods your referring to, but we are adding fueling just don't want to upgraded the CP3 at this time. That's why I was inquiring about real experiences and not just sales pitch from injector builders.

The stock cp3 and rail is good to about 550-600 hp in most applications.I know some have been higher,but that is a good ballpark I believe.So depending what box you run will dictate what injector size.A tst or any big programmer will usually drain a rail or be real close when set on level 9 so no injector can be used without turning down the box.I have found with the trucks I have been around that a 100-150hp works pretty well,then you can upgrade your fuel supply as needed.This is what Ive seen that works.

RCCX: Thanks for the input. You believe a Smarty / MP8 stack would drain the rail at level 9 even with stock injectors. then when dumping more fuel with say 50 / 90 HP injectors the drainage will happen that much faster.

SO, no nozzles with tuners unless CP3 is modded or duals are installed ?

Or can you get some nice driveability out of nozzles on mid levels and just need to tune in with the injectors to get the most out of the combination?

I believe a smarty on 9 and a mp8 would be real close to maxxing out a stock cp3.You could get some 50 to 90 hp injectors for more power off the box and it might make more hp,but you would have to get the injectors and spend some time on the dyno to get what levels work.If you have access to a scanner that reads rail pressure it is pretty easy to figure what level drains the rail.

JacktheBear3 said:
I don't recall the list of mods your referring to, but we are adding fueling just don't want to upgraded the CP3 at this time. That's why I was inquiring about real experiences and not just sales pitch from injector builders.

I made 579hp on a stock cp3 with stock injectors stacking a Bullydog and a TST with a 62/14 blowing air. I couldn't turn the TST past 2/0 or the rail would totally drain. Yes i have a fuel system, glacier comp kit.

You can get injectors for a truck with a stock cp3, but i feel its a waste of time. You can get the same power with stock injectors. I'm all for larger injectors and a modded cp3....or dual cp3's....just don't see it rational to do injectors with no cp3 upgrade...but it can be done.

to answer your original question 90hp sticks are pretty much the max without having to mod further.

It also depends on the year of the truck. The 03-04 trucks aren't as forgiving as the 04.5 and up. My truck did 558 with 100hp sticks, on the stock CP3. I pulled the injectors out, and did 508 on the stock sticks. The big sticks drained my rail as soon as I matted it, and it took some time to recover. With the stock sticks, I start to drain the rail, and recovery is almost instant. The TST box hurts the rail the most, of all of the boxes I've tried. With no boxes, my truck did 347 with the big sticks, and 290 on the stock ones, so basically, the 100 hp sticks were only good for about 50 hp, running the stock CP3.

Thanks Guys... This customer is stepping the truck up and wants to add sticks now.... We most likely will add the dual fueler late this year after he gets a few pulls in. He wants to stay within the rules of some local organization to get some experience and then add the fueling.

The truck is an 07 5.9, I figured it would be cool if we could drain every last drop of fueling out of the truck prior to modding the CP3.... We do have a rail pressure gauge so once the sticks go in we will spend a weekend testing the truck.

I think we'll put a set of 50's in the truck and just find that sweet spot.

HIGH TECH RAM said:
Tell the cheap bastard to go duels Thats what I hope to do some day when I get money:hehe:

Your so right.... I am sure we will once he feels the power.

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

973604x4 said:
I made 579hp on a stock cp3 with stock injectors stacking a Bullydog and a TST with a 62/14 blowing air. I couldn't turn the TST past 2/0 or the rail would totally drain. Yes i have a fuel system, glacier comp kit.

You can get injectors for a truck with a stock cp3, but i feel its a waste of time. You can get the same power with stock injectors. I'm all for larger injectors and a modded cp3....or dual cp3's....just don't see it rational to do injectors with no cp3 upgrade...but it can be done.

I wish everyone understood this... on other forums I am constantly bombarded with questions from new guys who want to swap injectors and I'm always asking them why? especially when they are just starting out? There is so much more that needs to be done before you do the swap. Money is better spent elsewhere first. Some people just don't listen though...

x2

when i bought my truck the only thing done to it was 80hp sticks. no lift pup, no electronics. when i asked why..."because scheid said so"

trik396 said:
I wish everyone understood this... on other forums I am constantly bombarded with questions from new guys who want to swap injectors and I'm always asking them why? especially when they are just starting out? There is so much more that needs to be done before you do the swap. Money is better spent elsewhere first. Some people just don't listen though...

trik396 said:

yep.....did you see that argument over that on that "other site?" it got pretty heated.....by part pushers.

973604x4 said:
yep.....did you see that argument over that on that "other site?" it got pretty heated.....by part pushers.

Wht site was that... and how long ago was it?