Rear axle swap

1bad79vette

hey guys need some input,

i have a 2500 with a 11.5 AAM i am converting to a DRW i have everything but the rearend. should i just change to a DRW, or should i put spacers on. i am a little leery of the spacers because of the weight i pull. all opinions are appreciated.

Also if anybody wants to swap rearends let me know thanks.

Well, all of the truck mfrs use spacers on the front, why not the back? People have been using spacers for many years without any problems in dually conversions. People have been using spacers between the wheels also. I think there are several poeple here who have done the conversion with spacers and also tow a lot.

CD

03, 11.5, 3.73, factory locker, little rock Ar. 70,000 miles on truck. if someone wanted to trade i have a shop were we could swap, of i could pull the axle and load it in my other truck and meet somewhere.

well i would love to do this as i have a drw axle but i have 4:10 so that wouldnt work

All you need to do is swap the hubs/axles. Remove them like you were doing a brake rotor grind, swap them over. The rear housings are identical, everything else is plug and play. Axles in both are 30 spline. The only thing you will need parts wise is the axle gaskets (2) - dodge p/n 5086767AB, and the only thing you will need tool wise is the socket for the hub bolt - miller tool p/n 8954 or wright tool p/n 8954. Swap your hubs/axles, wheels and bed, you are done.

CD

Last edited:
Would you be willing to sell the axle you have now so that you can just buy a Dual axle?

All you need to do is swap the hubs/axles. Remove them like you were doing a brake rotor grind, swap them over. The rear housings are identical, everything else is plug and play. Axles in both are 30 spline. The only thing you will need parts wise is the axle gaskets (2) - dodge p/n 5086767AB, and the only thing you will need tool wise is the socket for the hub bolt - miller tool p/n 8954 or wright tool p/n 8954. Swap your hubs/axles, wheels and bed, you are done.

CD

I thought it was already determined that this is NOT the case on 03-05 rears??? I was under the impression the housing width was nearly 2" difference between SRW and DRW.

Back