Rear end lockers

blacked01

So i have a 01 6 spd. hx35 over s475 with 250 hp injectors. I have an open diff. I'm curious on putting lockers in the rear end but still want DD ability. Wondering if air lockers would handle up to 600hp. any suggestions? I'm new hear i tried searching a little but i could've been slacking on that, sorry if this is a repeat.

It seems like folks are running air lockers at 800+ rwhp, and they hold fine.

i doubt its a open diff most likely needs new clutches in the limited slip

check your glove box sticker. it will tell you if you have factory posi. ram tough is prob right. mine wore out at 125k. you can rebuild factory posi for a 160 dollars. my friend rebuilt mine in my dana 80 when we over hauled the rear end.

With that setup, he'll spit spider gear chunks by the 3rd launch. Do the air locker.

sure if he has the money do the air locker. i honestly dont think he will spit spider gear chunks. i have also heard of restacking. my friend did it in his built cummins. he dynoed his truck at dirty diesels dyno and it dynoed at over 700hp. he restacked his clutches like jigabop was talking about and he could smoke both tires at 70mph. if you dont want to spend the money i would try restacking the clutches. i totally forgot my friend did that and it worked for him. good luck

thanks guys I might just restack them to see if that will help. I'm no drag racer, being it is a 6 speed but i'm tired of wet roads and spinning one tire and not going anywhere..

sure if he has the money do the air locker. i honestly dont think he will spit spider gear chunks. i have also heard of restacking. my friend did it in his built cummins. he dynoed his truck at dirty diesels dyno and it dynoed at over 700hp. he restacked his clutches like jigabop was talking about and he could smoke both tires at 70mph. if you dont want to spend the money i would try restacking the clutches. i totally forgot my friend did that and it worked for him. good luck

Search it. Your buddy got lucky...that's far from the norm. Spider gears are a known weak point in a D80 in both the pulling world and with the 4x4 crowd; they are the same ones used in the D60. Many here have wrecked spider gears at under 500 rwhp (mine gave up at 450 rwhp). Manual trucks are harder on them also, as a clutch that holds that kind of power is generally very grabby. The repetitive, sudden application of power is harder on driveline parts.