Rear end question for the Dodge experts...

06duramaxlbz

Duramax driver
My neighbor has a 96 Ram 2500 Cummins with 3.55 rear gears in it. Pulled it apart, the pinion gear has a broken tooth. It is a Dana axle(has a Dana diff cover on it). The dealer quoted him 800 in parts just for the ring and pinion. I went to the local Napa where I get a pretty hefty discount and got quoted a much better price. Only problem, he needs to know which axle is in the truck. Apparently his system shows multiple rear ends for that truck?? So what rear end does this truck have in it from the factory? Looks like a Dana 60, but I wanna be sure before I order the parts. Thanks for the help, Nick

they came with 60,70,80 i think the 60 was in gas models 70 was in auto diesels and 80 was in manuel but pop the hood and look right next to the grill right above ur head there is a vehicle identification tag it will tell you everything you need to know

D70 if it's an auto, D80 if manual.

Randy's Ring and Pinion... ringpinion.com

You will need a ring and pinion and master install kit. Figure about $500 in parts.

Setting up the gears is something you need a few specialized tools for and a bit of know how. Plan on $300-400 in labor if he isn't doing it himself.

Shame that it isn't 4.10s. I have a low mileage set that I'd sell for a fair price.

I am SOOOO HAPPY, I changed my 3.54's to 4.10's.

We didn't need to use a Case spreader on my Dana 80. So the only special tools ya need are the dial indicator and a way to get the bearings off and on.

I've never used a case spreader on any diff, it just it more of a pain to get the carrier preload nice and tight.

You'll need (off the top of my head)...

press
bearing separator
dial indicator
in/lb dial or beam torque wrench (0-75 in lbs dial what I use)
ft/lb torque wrench
caliper

and most importantly PATIENCE, sometimes they go together nice, sometimes it's tear apart and adjust 14 million times. :hehe:

Dana 70 in the 2500 Autos dana 80 in the 2500 Sticks. 3500 all had 80s

Got some gears and an install kit on the way. I'm trading my neighbor labor for labor. Hes automotive challenged, and I don't feel like redoing my deck... Works out pretty nice for both of us!

Back