Rebuild the 5.9L into a 6.2L or just swap in a 6.7?

Cumminpwr11

Suffers from Black Lung
Jury is still out, but I am sure that I have a hole in at least 1 piston due to a bad injectors.

I have been toying with placing a 6.7 crank in and milling .080 off the pistons and going .020 on the bore which would make right around a 6.2L

or

I can just drop in a 6.7l with all my 5.9 accessories and run 6.7 with 5.9 electronics.

Not sure where it find a machine shop in Las Vegas Nv to do the milling and boring.

Not sure what the advantage of the 6.2L would be over swapping in a 6.7 besides just being different. Post here for perspective.

This truck is always hooked to a trailer for work(20ft enclosed 8500lbs) and for play(38ft toy hauler 15k loaded)

Truck is a 2004.5 2500 nv5600 S300 smarty ssr

Chris

Thanks for the info. I am waiting to see which ends up being cheaper. Time and money will be the factors when it comes time. It's still running pretty smooth just smokes to much. Hopefully I can find a good low miles 6.7 to just drop in.

Thanks again

Chris

Wait a minute... you said you have a hole in at least one piston but it still runs smooth?

I do not know how they do it but two different diesel shops in different states (Utah and Nevada) both said that my number 6 cylinder is bad. I do not have blow by, but they said its in need of a rebuild. I refuse to take the heads off to see, but both shops were certain that the piston was melted or a hole in it. It smokes like crazy even at idle and my ssr is set to stock. When I get my back up work truck running I will pull the head to see if they have magic computers or x-ray goggles.

Lots of smoke and lots of noise but it still runs smooth. I am losing 4 quarts a month. Someone old me to look at the turbo. If the turbo is bad also I am going to be over this truck. Might me time for a ecodiesel and a old 12v to replace my work truck.

Chris

I'm sensing a couple of typical "shops" to greedy to find the actual cause of oil consumption. Pull a intercooler tube and look inside. Coated with oil, turbo issue.

I need to buy an inspection cam that'll fit down the injector bores. I like the snap on one, but man the price scares me...

Look at the AC Delco camera. Better resolution than Snapon and WAYYYY cheaper.

Thanks, does it have smaller heads the. 7.5mm so it'll fit in cr injector bores? I'll look into the ac Delco one. I seen an autel on the cornwell truck with a 5.5mm and 8.5mm head for $200 I don't what the resolution was though.

Back