Rebuilt 47re stalling the motor

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
Had my ol lady's 01' sent to a local shop for a rebuild and a few upgrades. doesn't make big power. just a 2wd w/smarty,AD150 on a DD just set up for fuel econ.

The installer/ builder is supposed to be fluent with these trannys but i have since had several problems with his work. (this is what happens when i dont do the work myself).

Anyways, on a cold morning after letting the truck warm up for 10-20 mins (via remote start) when she puts it in gear it will either stall the motor,or blow the back tires off and almost stall it trying to move. it feels like the converter is super tight. almost as if the stall is lower than idle.

From what i can gather he did a trans-go shift kit, a run of the mill triple disc and a standard rebuild with a billet input.

It does it the same in reverse and the problem lessens as the trans warms up.
what could he have done? should i check line pressure @ idle and in gear?
im leaning twords a valve body issue on the install but i am no VB guru. it shifts and drives perfect otherwise.

-Marcus

Last edited:
Try putting the transmission in neutral for at least 10-15 seconds and then shifting to a forward or reverse gear. It takes time to unlock the torque converter. So what happen is you shift from Park to gear and the torque converter is locked and takes a second or two to release. (Information passed on from another with this issue).

I don't think the torque converter is supposed to be locked when it's in park. That's what your saying right?

correct.

i have let it sit in neutral while warming up and it doesnt matter. the first time it falls in gear it lugs the motor to a stall if not close.

What i am getting at Michael is a stock Trans (or even several built tranny's) do not do this and she should not have to deal with a truck that wants to lunge or stall either. im trying to find out if the Converter or the VB mods are to blame.

My question was aimed at mopar man, that just doesn't seem right. I have no clue six.oh but something is definitely wrong. I doubt it'll help but u plug the harness and see if it still does it.

yeah, it seems more mechanical/ hydraulic to me.

im sure some of the VB guru's will chime in later

There is a lot of problems wrapped around the TQ / VB mods I've seen several with this problem but few people find solutions to the actual problem.

I'm not a Automatic guru... I do understand the basic but modifications thing tend to go wrong...

From what I understand and was told by another member is that TQ Conv will be in locked mode when in park because there is no pump flow in the VB (unless you VB is modified for pump flows).Then when you shift into neutral then its pumping through the system. So if the stalling is even after neutral warm up then there is most likely something wrong in or with the torque converter most likely. It should pull down a bit but not enough to stall it.

From what I understand and was told by another member is that TQ Conv will be in locked mode when in park because there is no pump flow in the VB (unless you VB is modified for pump flows).Then when you shift into neutral then its pumping through the system. So if the stalling is even after neutral warm up then there is most likely something wrong in or with the torque converter most likely. It should pull down a bit but not enough to stall it.

TC is not locked unless there is pressure applied to the lockup piston. If the solenoid or a valve in the vb was sticking then the lockup clutch could be an issue.

Ive seen some trucks react a lot more then others when dropped into gear with a tight TC. Did you find out stall?

TC is not locked unless there is pressure applied to the lockup piston. If the solenoid or a valve in the vb was sticking then the lockup clutch could be an issue.

Ive seen some trucks react a lot more then others when dropped into gear with a tight TC. Did you find out stall?

Thanx... I'm not much for auto... Maybe that's why I got 5 speed.

I would love to know what this auto stalling issue truly is being so many people ask me about it but no one knows why...

Mine did this after sitting for long periods of time and only when warmed up. It would not do it if started and dropped into gear. I ended up tearing some thigns up after a LONG burnout for the kids. LOL Seems solved after wards...I know that is of no help, just another experience.

I fixed one that stalled in drive.
It had a pinched oil cooler line.
All I did was cut it off and put a hose in it and it was fine.
TC lock up vents to the cooler line to unlock. As I understand it.

Mine did this after sitting for long periods of time and only when warmed up. It would not do it if started and dropped into gear. I ended up tearing some thigns up after a LONG burnout for the kids. LOL Seems solved after wards...I know that is of no help, just another experience.

probably because the converter was not full yet.

thx FOX. ill inspect the lines when i get home.

still trying to find out the stall RPM from the installer... isn't it sad that he doesn't KNOW!!!!!:badidea: