Replace CR rockers with 2nd Gen 24 valve rockers

metal_miner

I'm doing some PM on my truck - repairing leaky injectors, repairing leaking turbos thanks to leaking injectors, retorquing head studs, and replacing a slipping clutch.

While in this far I am thinking about replacing the plastic tip CR rocker arms with the metal tip 2nd gen 24 valve rocker arms.

Is this a straight across swap? Or can / should I use the 2nd gen rocker arms with the CR rocker pedestals? Does it matter in terms of wear patterns developed over time?

-Thanks-

You can use the 2nd gen rockers without any issue. I believe you'll have to use the 2nd gen bridges also. If you are buying new rockers you might want to just replace the pivots also. You can swap them but if you look close at them they are most likely worn and scratched up.

I'm doing some PM on my truck - repairing leaky injectors, repairing leaking turbos thanks to leaking injectors, retorquing head studs, and replacing a slipping clutch.

While in this far I am thinking about replacing the plastic tip CR rocker arms with the metal tip 2nd gen 24 valve rocker arms.

Is this a straight across swap? Or can / should I use the 2nd gen rocker arms with the CR rocker pedestals? Does it matter in terms of wear patterns developed over time?

-Thanks-

They are a direct swap. My brother did his when he broke his rings.

I don't think the second gen exhaust rocker will clear the injector.

If a 3rd gen rocker breaks on the motor with only .010 and .020 clearance it is not going to go any where anyways. I have a retainer on a 2nd gen puller that is broke( little plastic ring that holds the pivot ball on) and that has yet to even begin to move and that motor turns 5500 rpms.

I put the 2nd gens in because I had three plastic clips broke and pieces of plastic laying in my head. It is a direct replacement. They wont come apart until you go to remove them to change injectors etc. But I didn't want plastic pieces in my motor. The second gens look identical except they are pressed together instead of having a plastic retainer. I think it is a good insurance since sets can be found fairly cheap. I paid $125 for a complete set with bridges, but they were also identical so no benefit to changing them IMO.

I have a set of 99 rocker arms for my cr, but didn't put em on this time around. My plastic tips were still in good shape so I left them on for now. $9.99 on ebay. :)

Thanks everyone for their advice.

So do I have to use the 2nd gen crossheads?

The difference I see is that the 3rd gen crossheads have the dimple on one end showing which end installs towards the exhaust side of the head.

Apart from this the valve stem pockets on the 3rd gen and 2nd gen crossheads are the same size: one end of the crosshead has a larger sized pocket than the other side of the crosshead.