Replacement turbo IH 560 diesel turbo

stillsmokin

all out of fuel
A friend of my asked me to help him find a replacement turbo for his IH 560 diesel project tractor, which is apparently a super cool factory turbo. The bad news is the motor was shot and the turbo is not even a core. The charger is a super old school Garrett/Air Research the tag reads:

Model T-606
Part# 21373 R 91
Serial#08494
Turbine Housing# 402213

Any garrett reps out there? What is a modern replacement for this relic?

Or does anybody have one laying around the shop?

A friend of my asked me to help him find a replacement turbo for his IH 560 diesel project tractor, which is apparently a super cool factory turbo. The bad news is the motor was shot and the turbo is not even a core. The charger is a super old school Garrett/Air Research the tag reads:

Model T-606
Part# 21373 R 91
Serial#08494
Turbine Housing# 402213

Any garrett reps out there? What is a modern replacement for this relic?

Or does anybody have one laying around the shop?

Strange, I am a red fan and an Ag Mechanic.... Never heard of that factory, but they do make some pretty clean OE looking manifolds/piping to turbo charge the monsters. We actually had one on our farm that we acquired the pieces to turbo charge and boy did it ever wake it up. Though it sure did like to eat HG's if you lugged it below 1600...

Anyway an Air Research T-04 should bolt right up and was a very common turbo in the Ag industry so it should be easy to find. I wouldn't go with anything more aggressive than that without a real set of studs and regardless of turbo choice I would HIGHLY suggest a Victor Reinz HG. They have a lot thicker fire ring than the more common Fel-pro HG and are just plain and simple a better HG. Fact is we would go through Fel-pro HG's 2x a year and once we finally switched to a Victor we went three years without issue before we sold it.

The factory turbo setup is actually taken from a crawler with the same engine, IH just made it a option on some of the later 560 diesel models. There was also an aftermarket M&W setup available as well.

The factory turbo setup is actually taken from a crawler with the same engine, IH just made it a option on some of the later 560 diesel models. There was also an aftermarket M&W setup available as well.

Should have known the factory looking parts came from crawlers... I've seen a couple of the M&W set-ups M&W made a TON of "upgraded" parts for IH I've been looking for one of their rocket governors for my 400 Farmall that I pull. That's pretty cool that the later models had that as an option though, is there any special package letter denomination on the Serial number tag for the factory turbo tractors? This could be useful for me since I tech a couple of local tractor pulls and I would love to see one be able to pull (since of course the turbo would be factory :evil)

We built a 660 Turbo Pulling tractor and made the manifold flange and everything else ourselves. I think we used a Raja turbo don't rememeber what size though. It was small turbo to match the cubic inches. We had sold the tractor about 10 years ago. The turbo wasn't a factory option for the turbo for the 560 and 660 tractors. It was an aftermarket option by M&W.