Replacing Steering Components

bna5017

I need to replace all of the steering components on the front end of my 95. Has anybody ever used a kit from Ballistic fab? If so, which one did you use? The 3/4" kit with standard spacers or the 3/4" kit with high misalignment spacers?

Here is a link to their webpage:

Full Steering Kits

I have also considered doing the "T-Style" steering conversion that can be found on some 98-99 model year trucks. If anyone has any reviews of either I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

is it new rods and ends or jus new ends? didnt know they had those kits. my truck has had a Thuren set up on it for 7 years i believe and has been untouched since install.

It's new rods and ends. They don't give you much of a description, but I am assuming that it requires a little fab work. My guess is the rods are straight and my need to be bent here and there. That's what I am hoping to find out.

I have had my eye on a thuren set up for quite some time, but if I can save a couple hundred bucks by welding it up myself that's what I'd rather do.

oh i completely understand. the Thruen set up was on my truck when i purchased it so i didnt have to spend the coin on it. post what you find out i am sure several people would love to save some coin on an upgrade like this.

Bump.

have also come across a factory upgrade for the new trucks that people have been putting on 2000-2002 second gens. Seems that the only difference between the early second gens and the later ones is the taper on the steering knuckles and Pitman arm, those can be changed fairly easy if you could figure out the taper you need. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
I built my own steering with 1.5" DOM and 3/4" heims. Basically the same idea as the ballistic kit. It helped quite a bit on my truck. I had the T style setup stock by the way. But I wouldn't order anything from ballistic cuz I've heard of a lot of people having bad experiences and having to wait months to recieve what they bought. I have never dealed with them though so I can't say for sure. Just throwin it out there.lol.

Last edited:
Subscribing. My 95 project is in need of something similar.

I put the 99hd steering on my 96 big improvement. Got the parts from Rockauto.

Plan to wait months if you order from Balistic Fab. Been there done that.

I also installed the t style hd steering for a 98 on my 97 much better! like a whole new truck. around 400 from carquest all moog parts...

I'm goioto give Napa a try. Carquest is about $450 not including a track bar. Ill have to check rockauto.

I used the cheap brand from Oreilys for the upgrade T-style on my work truck. Have about $280 in everything and has lasted 60k miles with no problems. All the part numbers came from ram modifications web site.

I don't have an OReilly close to me. I can get everything but the track bar from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for about $320. It would be all duralast parts but with a lifetime warranty I'm not really concerned about the brand.