Replacing synchronizers in 3rd on NV5600?

4x4dually

Easy? Hard? Special tools other than tranny jack? You that have done it please give me details. I've lost synchro's in 3rd and this POS is now a 5 speed. 1,2,4,5,6!

Anyone work for beer? I'll buy for a little on-site tech support when I get tired of shifting from 2nd to 4th! :D

And I just had the SOB out of there for a clutch 5000 miles ago...POS...:bang

You don't need synchros, My 6th gear syncros have been MIA for a year now....Just gotta shift alot slower. If you get a good deal on getting them fixed though, let me know, maybe we can get a group buy:hehe:

you need a very large press to get those gears apart and an engine hoist. keep the beer for yourself, your going to need it!

my tranny guy broke his 20-ton press taking my nv5600 apart, he said it was the biggest toughest transmission he has worked on in his 14 years in business, he said he'd take a ford zf6 over that 5600 anyday.

its surely not easy at all

I believe a syncro kit is expensive. I heard a big number. a buddy of mine needs them.

Jory, I've got a freshly built, fully splined NV4500, bell, a couple south bend clutches to chose from, and a front drive shaft... might be cheaper than a rebuild on the 5600 ;)

Sounds like a job for Blumenthals (or however you spell it) in OKC. Just thought I'd check. Thanks for the info.

Forrest, I had a '99 with the 5 speed and it was a slug. That would be a hard decision! I like all my gears when towing heavy. I will however keep your offer in mind. Thanks.

you dont need syncros the 3rd gear syncros have been out of my 4500 for a while, the only time it realey bothers me is down shifting. i can take off in 1st and never touch the clutch untill i stop.

eitther float(speed shift) it in to 3rd or double clutch it. its not worth the time or money to me $.02

I never clutched my old 5 speed either. This things seems to shift normal once the tranny temp gets up close to normal after about a 30 mile trip. It grinds like hell when it is cold. It was 34F this morning and I just had to skip it all together. It doesn't bother me bobtail but the next time I hook to a loaded trailer it is really going to piss me off the first time I either miss 3rd or it grinds like hell......dang 3rd gear. It would have to be the one in the middle wouldn't it! :bang

If it makes you feel any better Jory, I haven't had 3rd or 6th gear synchro's in about a year, you can tow without them, when you miss a gear just blip the throttle and try again.

Blumenthal, the only reputable place I'd really let touch my tranny around here, said bench labor is $575 and synchro rings for all gears is $270 and recommended replacing them all if we had it apart, why not, sure. That's $845 without the oil to put in it plus another $425 if I don't drop it and take them just the tranny. Ever feel like a good corn-holin'? We are in the wrong business.

Billy, I don't mind a little grindage...I am just scared of ruining the actual gears. Should I be concerned or are they ok? *grind...grind* :D

The tranny in my truck has about 140k on it, the one that came out (now the spare, long painful story) had about 120k. The gears in both seem fine, but I couldn't tell you how to drive a 5600 with a working 6th gear synchro LOL Guess it all depends on how hard you grind them Jory, best answer I can give you.

Well, I pulled a Ditch Witch 3700 on a trailer all weekend and double cluthin' 3rd works like a champ. I guess I'll have to do that for a while since the clutch just went out of my 4020 tractor and I got calves that need fed. It was a fuster cluck of a weekend around here.

Seems to be a fairly tough tranny Jory, Lord knows I haven't managed to tear one up yet, and that's saying something LOL LOL