Replacing VP44 Bosch injection pump on a 2002 Cummins

cowboyup_2000

My injection pump went out in my truck, 2002 Dodge Ram CUMMINS, and I was wondering if I could get some instruction on how to remove the old one and install the new one and how to time the motor and such. Thanks. This will be my first injection pump transplant.

no need for timing the pump, its electronic.. start with the obvious stuff first like the air intake and APPS and stuff above it. unplug the connector on the back of the pump. take the lines loose. there are 4 nuts that hold the pump on the case, i think they are either 14 or 15mm. there should be a bracket bracing the pump that bolts to the side of the block, unbolt that. then you will need to take the gear shaft nut off the front of the pump. be careful not to drop the nut in the case, or youll have to pull that off next lol.. get a gear puller (a harmonic balancer puller works great for this) and pop the gear off the shaft. then the pump should come out.

when you go to put the new pump in, make sure the keyway is at the 12 oclock position. doing this helps prevent you knocking the keyway out and dropping it in the case. after that, its all oposite of taking it out.. when you get it all back together, leave the number 1 and 3 lines snug on the head. you dont want them tight and dont want them too loose. so when you do this, you cant bleed the air out of the lines so it will start wayyy easier..
good luck!

you're not required to time the pump to the motor on the mechanical side?

as long as you put the keyway at 12 oclock and remove the old pump and put the new one in with the keyway aligned it will stay in time. Just as long as the pump gear doesn't get moved and jump a tooth. Its a pretty simple setup. Just takes some time!

i got the new injection pump in a couple weeks ago ... and she has a little more kick now than when she had the old one ... thanks for your help guys

I got another question that relates too replacing the vp.. When u pull the vp outta the front gear case cover does the key have to be at the 12o'clock position,i understand that its gotta be when installing the pump, but does it gotta be when removing it?. hope someone can help

I put mine at 12 o'clock in hopes the key won't fall down into the timing gears.
I modified an open end wrench to fit the fan pulley nut and turned it to turn the engine over until the keyway slot on the pump shaft was at 12 o'clock. I've read some guys turn the alternator nut to get the same results.
Make sure the trans is in neutral if there's a clutch pedal hanging next to the brake pedal.

Last edited:
I also use a bendable mirror to see whats going on, especially when installing the pump to see how the pump shaft is lining up with the pump gear.

VP44Mirror.jpg

Sorry to bring up and old thread but this is a useful thread. When you press the gear off the pump shaft does it stay in place and the pump get pushed out the back of the case?

Sweet, I was thinking this was gonna be a PITA. I wasn't sure if you had to pull the front gear cover or not.

Its not hard at all, you will cuss the number 6 injection line and rear mount eye.

Im going to be doing 2 in the same day. By the 2nd one I should have it down. Thanks for the help.