Returning wheel seal leak

kas83

My mother has an 02 Chevy 4x4 D/A that has been in numerous times for the right rear wheel seal leaking. The dealer fixed it under warranty and has fixed it each time since then for free, but it still comes back after about a month or two of driving. I've decided I'm going to do it when I have my CTD apart in the shop too. What size spindle nut socket is needed? And is there anything in particular, such as a burr on the axle shaft, misaligned seal etc? The dealer will cover it again, but it's getting annoying. I did both wheel seals on my 01 Ram last year July, and neither show any sign of leaking. I doubt the spindle nut is the same size between that Dana 60 and the AAM on the Chevy. Thanks in advance.

Also check the vent. I do have new axles cheap if you need one.

X2. Make sure the vent hose has continuous slope down to the axle. If lube splashes into hose and settles in a loop seal, the vent path is gone.
You've had this truck a long time, but there were cases where the factory forgot to remove a flat washer that was folding vent hose over, to purposely block vent during assembly.

Here's the nut socket that worked on my 02:
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-1929.html

Last edited:
Back