Reworked stock rods

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Is there any place besides Haisley and Pure Diesel Power that sells Heat treated, shot peened, polished and balanced Rods?

Woodruff Industrial Injection and Wide Open Performance. They do the Cryo instead of the heat treat though.

Depending on the rod, heat treat is part of cryo ;)... polishing is a waste with shot-peening (shot destroys the shiny surface, while grinding destroys the compacted shell).

Balancing (and overbalancing), ovalized big ends (depends on rod used), radiused caps, etc. should be de rigueur.

Good luck on getting call back from woodruff on their rods.
I called numerous times last winter, left messages.
I never heard from them.

Just trying to get prices right now. I would like to have polished rods to help with the oil shedding and windage. With the high competition in the pulling word right now, a few horses can mean the difference between winning and loosing in some cases, yet I don't want to sacrafice strength for added insurance agianst windowing a block.

Depending on the rod, heat treat is part of cryo ;)... polishing is a waste with shot-peening (shot destroys the shiny surface, while grinding destroys the compacted shell).

Yes and no.

Can you lightly polish after peening or is it more beneficial to coat them? I plan to coat them either way just wondering.

So you don't think there's a reason to remove the ridge along the length of the rod?

That isn't polishing...
Semantics <sigh>

Best practice is remove stress risers, peen & coat.

Who would you recommend to do all of those processes XLR8R?