Road tractor w/ enclosed trailer.. Opinions??

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Looking into getting a road tractor and a 40-48ft van trailer to haul the puller in.
Gonna take the first 20 ft or so and fix living quarters in. I have seen some done up really nice. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

I figure it would be more reasonable than buying a 25-30k dollar ton truck and a 7-10k dollar goose neck. Plus I would rather have the better brakes of a road tractor.

just my thoughts. Any others???

The DOT WILL classify you as a commercial carrier, because you will be competing for a purse (some like to split hairs on even winning a ribbon showing a horse at a show).

Farm or commercial plates will cost $2-4000/yr. Don't recall what a trailer tag is, but not too bad. If you weigh in over 50,000#, you have to pay a heavy-use road tax. $500+/yr, IIRC. My W900L and 102"x48' dry van weighs 31,000 alone! Sleeping quarters and a pulling truck will add up pretty quick. The price of tires on a big truck have made a BIG jump this year. :( Steer tires are $450+ a piece now!! Drives are worse.

Have to deal with fuel tax reporting if you cross state lines (IFTA).

Class A CDL, log books, HOS rules, stop at weigh stations................

IFTA, Inc.

CSA - Compliance, Safety, Accountability

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - KYTC

Kentucky State Police: Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Links

For just a hobby, it will make it far more expensive than a pickup truck.

I'd just get a 3500-5500 dually truck with an exhaust brake, manual transmission, tandem dual axle g/n flatbed with elec over hyd brakes and sleep in a tent or hotel.

Last edited:
Im fighting this same battle with DOT i have a 7500 top kick and with living quarters on it in a 16 foot box and they are giving me the run around about tagging it as a motorhome. Its a real PITA to get it done unless you buy one that is already tag as a motor home and then you dont need any cdl's, fuel stickers, or comercial licene plates

The tractor pullers I know just put RV plates on them and that is the truck and trailer's only purpose. Or they already had the truck for other purposes.

You just can "put" rv plates on them. DOT wont just give you a rv plate to put on a semi. I've tried. unless In is different then every other state

"Private coach" has to have sleeping quarters, mounted toilet, water, and some way to prepare food. Ohio wants a refrigerator and a permanant cook top also. Then you have to get a state inspection done and redo the title plates and tags.

"Private coach" has to have sleeping quarters, mounted toilet, water, and some way to prepare food. Ohio wants a refrigerator and a permanant cook top also. Then you have to get a state inspection done and redo the title plates and tags.

Thats exactly the same as Va and its a major PITA when dealing with DMV trying to get them to understand what you are doing. I think they hire the dumbest people that hate to have to think except for what the book/computer says