rocker arm question

strokethis6.7

$2.00 Hooker
Im replacing the head gasket on my 6.7 and when removing the rockers i noticed the 2 number 6 rockers the lil plastic retainer thet is atached to the rockers were cracked and one fell off what is the porpose/function of this piece? i was told i had to get a new rocker arm to replace it are the 5.9 24v rocker arms the same as the 6.7 rocker arm?? please help me out thank you

The older 24V ones have metal caps.

the one on mine has a lil metal cap and a lil plastic retainer thing over it im tryin to get her together hopfully today and need to know if that plastic cap is needed or if it would be worth tryin to find a used rocker assymbly off a 5.9

the one on mine has a lil metal cap and a lil plastic retainer thing over it im tryin to get her together hopfully today and need to know if that plastic cap is needed or if it would be worth tryin to find a used rocker assymbly off a 5.9

Just guessing i would say that it is just there to prevent the socket from falling off when rockerarm is removed. Once in place it won't hurt if the the plastic piece is there or not.

I set the valve lash yesterday on my 04 and one of the plastic retainers was broke on one my rocker arms too. Was kinda wondering the same thing

well i got 2 new rockers and found that after i instaled them i didnt need the lil plastic retainer at was to hold the lil metal cap in place so it dont fall off when removing the rockers so for anyone wondering

There was a thread on CF and it was said they are needed for oil routing or something of that nature.

Nope just to hold the little cap on idk if the rockers on the 02 24v that were building are different or what but they had that cap on them too