Rod bolts??

yoshi470

EDP Janitor
Did some searching and cant seem to get a straight answer on what to do here. Had my #6 piston get messed up from a fire ring so im in the process of getting it swapped out and fixed right now. Got the new piston in and have had some A1 rod bolts laying around for quite some time now and was wondering what the torque sequence is for them and if i use any type of lube? Also could you re-use the factory rod bolts if you wanted to? Also i got a new set of rod bearing for the #6 and the bearings i got the groove/cup (not sure what the technical term is) part of the bearing isnt as wide as the original bearing set..Just wondering if that matters or not.

I think it was 30, 45, 90, then retorque to 90? I had that written on a note here from when I put mine in a while back.

You still interested in that head?

Not sure if i can come up with that much money yet Jesse let me see though. Also i read somewhere about torqueing them 30,45,90 and the a 90* turn???

Heavy duty 4340 rod bolt installation instructions
put oil on threads and under head of bolts, torque to 30, 45, 90 ft lb, retorque to 90 ft lb
do not over torque

So after you do the 35, 45, 90 torque do you loosen them back up and then just do the straight to 90 torque? And im gonna try and take a pic of those bearing and post up.

Don't loosen them all the way, just back it off a bit then retighten to 90ft lbs. Make sure you put something on the threads.

Here are the rod bearings...

truck007-2.jpg

On the rod bearing, it is just made a little different. That little indention is to keep the bearing from spinning in the rod.

Just make sure it will fully seat in the rod/cap.

Yea with the bearings in there they seem to seat just as they should. Sounds like they will work just fine?

Once you torque the cap down, make sure it still has a little side to side play. Should be able to do it by hand. I'm sure those bearings are fine, probably just a running change. Brian

Specs on stock bolts are..22ftlb, 44ftlb, and then another 60 degrees. Just an fyi. You could re-use if they're not stretched beyond the specs.