Rotella T6 synthetic

shawn90yj

Hi Guys
local advance auto parts has a new oil I've never seen. Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40. Is this the same as the regular synthetic? They have both. its c4-1 plus cert. Is this just the new packaging? thanks.

yeah. I paid 24.99 a gallon. After I did the oil change my truck ran like crap when cold. But I think it had to do with the temps being 13. I put in some anti gel and it seems to be running much better. But it did stall out yesterday backing out of my driveway. Then it would not start just crank and crank. then finally start. first problem ever with my truck.

I run my truck with out a grid heater,
15 today no problems starting. I run
Stanadyne Performance year round.

Was just at wallyworld and saw that they had the new T6 rotella 5w40 also. I believe it's the newer version of the 5w40 synthetic. Cost of a gallon was 19.50 which wasn't bad i thought.

Well my truck is broke down in the walmart parkinglot. It just cranks and cranks. I called AAA. they have to outsource the tow because its a dually. I also cranked down the batteries so now it wont crank at all. have no idea what it could be. We'll see. 48000 miles trouble free. Did this oil change and the truck hasnt run right since. That is why I asked about this oil.

It's a group IV base oil (true synthetic) instead of the previous group III base (refined dino).

I think it is just a coincidence that your truck died after the oil change. Could be many things, but if it has been having trouble cold starting it could be FICM related.

Update

Dealer called. Replaced ICP senor as it was getting no reading. Still no start. Called said they had to order two special tools from Ford. will be here weds. Said truck was not getting oil pressure to the injectors. We will see

Makes me think that there might be something wrong with either the HPOP or the LPOP.

Mine did the same thing and ending up being the o-rings in the oil rails to the injectors were blown.

Fixed

Got the truck back today. little over two weeks at the dealer. Replaced:

4C3Z 9F838 A sensor asy

5C3Z 9C968 CA (FP) regulator fuel press

Said it was the fuel pressure regulator not letting fuel to the injectors. Runs great. Did have to pay a $100 deductable. But the tow in was $109.00, so I make 9 bucks. Haha

I dont know exactly what they replaced. Just the part numbers on the slip. I do know that my truck is dead again. Batteries died. So now I need batteries. I wonder if they died from them cranking so much and it not starting.

Ford mechanic told me you can NOT run synthetic in them because ur injectors are run off oil pressure not a ford guy personally but a buddy did it to his and had same problem you are, went back to standard weight oil and wala no more problems. Ford said 3500$ to change all injectors but a ford engine rep. happened to be there so we asked him. Hes the one that said NOOO synthetic put standard weight oil back in and some standyne in fuel and it will fix it, HE WAS RIGHT ON THE $$$$

Ford mechanic told me you can NOT run synthetic in them because ur injectors are run off oil pressure not a ford guy personally but a buddy did it to his and had same problem you are, went back to standard weight oil and wala no more problems. Ford said 3500$ to change all injectors but a ford engine rep. happened to be there so we asked him. Hes the one that said NOOO synthetic put standard weight oil back in and some standyne in fuel and it will fix it, HE WAS RIGHT ON THE $$$$

I've been running synthetic rotella since my first oil change (2nd owner). In 33k miles I've had zero injector or cold start issues. Starts right up even at -5*f. Truck is at 104k with no real problems (according to the OASIS) ever. The brutal shearing forces imposed on the oil by the injectors is handled better with a synthetic IMO. I will continue to use it.

I've ran Rotella 5W40 for 45K miles and finally switched to Valvoline 5W40 and it was a night and day difference with my truck. I can't explain why it idles smoother or why the turbo is a bit less laggy but it is.

I can't say anything about the T6 formula though.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Ford even has a bulletin out that recommends their 5W40 synthetic oil for practically all temperature ranges.

No synthetic in a 6.0 would be terrible. Mine runs so much better with synthetic it's not even funny.

I concur... Mobil1 5w40 in mine the last 25k, starts unplugged at -10, and no romps to speak of...

Back