Rule Question ??

Cummalong

Does anyone know any rules about how far back the reese style hitch can be mounted or a rule about how far back the hook point can be?? a measurement from center or rear axle would be nice since the guy who this is for does not run a tailgate and it would be tought to have a measurement from it ... thanks any help id greatly appricated he pulls in 2.6/2.8

I think most places just state that the hook point has to be a certain distance from the center of the axle.

i no but i need to no the measurement as to how far back i should mount the hitch

I guess that depends on the measurement of your hitch (the slide in point). Some places say factory location I think. Check with whatever organization you will be pullin in.

considerin all reese hitches are add ons, it is a fair question given one could move the mounting point back a good ten inches or so along the frame

Most rules say furthest rear point of the truck ie the hitch is the first thing you see at the rear of the truck with no obstruction to the hitchng point

alternatively some have a wheelbase percentage rule for minimum length measured from axle centreline, and some just have a minimum length measred from axle centreline

Does anyone know any rules about how far back the reese style hitch can be mounted or a rule about how far back the hook point can be?? a measurement from center or rear axle would be nice since the guy who this is for does not run a tailgate and it would be tought to have a measurement from it ... thanks any help id greatly appricated he pulls in 2.6/2.8

This is how our rules read...

"Hitch height to be no more than 26” at point of hook before, during and after pull and no closer than 36% of the wheel base to the center point of the rear end. Hitch must be rigid in all directions and solidly mounted"

Here is the rule we use with MLM:

Hitch:
The hitch must be a receiver style hitch attached to the frame; reinforcements are permitted. Trick hitches are prohibited. The hooking point must be the rear-most point of the vehicle. Alternatively, the hitch must be constructed of solid material that is properly attached and braced; the hooking point must be at least 44 inches rearward from the centerline of the rear axle. The hitch must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all directions. The hitch's height from the ground may not exceed 26 inches. Bumpers may be notched or removed. The hooking point must have a minimum 3.00 inch inside diameter opening for the sled hook. The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.

BBD

This is how our rules read...

"Hitch height to be no more than 26” at point of hook before, during and after pull and no closer than 36% of the wheel base to the center point of the rear end. Hitch must be rigid in all directions and solidly mounted"

If you don't me asking, who's rule is that VTPA?

BBD

You probably should inquire with the organization that you will be pullin with. KOTTPA say Factory or commercially distributed aftermarket Reese type hitch. Must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all directions. Hitch must be no less than 46” from center line of rear axle to the back of the inside of hook point. Height from ground must not exceed 26”. Minimum 3 ½-inch diameter for sled hook.

thanks BBD i really wanted all of that info too so it really helps me out.. around here there isnt really an organization or anything so its hard to find a set of rules with actual measurements thanks alot its really appricitated

these are the rules for the class i am trying to pull in at 6500lbs:

13. Maximum hitch height is 26 inches at hitch point. Hitch must be frame mounted and rigid in all directions. Hitching device must be no less than ½” thick, must have 2 1/2” diameter opening parallel with the ground, and pulling point may not be more than 1 ½” from back edge of hitch. Hitch must be clearly accessible and hooking point to be no closer than 27% of wheelbase when measured back from centerline of rear axle. Hitch must be only frame mounted. Hitch device must be no less than 1” thick. Must have 2 ½ wide by 3 ¼ long opening parallel with the ground

and if you wanted to pull at 7500lbs:

16. 26’ hitch height at hitch point. Hitch to be mounted to frame only, with no other devices attached other than for safety equipment and rigid in all directions. Hitching device must be al least on inch thick with 2.5 by 3.5 opening minimum. Hook point no closer than 27% of wheelbase back from centerline of rear axle.

and the stock class(no points):

9. Must be stock (OEM) Front bumber, OEM Rear bumper or Reese Type,bolted on from the farthest point, No pulling Hitches or plow brackets.
11. Hitch height 26 inches or lower

Back