Running Motor then No Start or Prime

RockinRam96

I am posting this for a friend so I dont have all the details but can get them as questions arise.

He has a 12 valve that he had running and shut then shut off. Tried to start the motor again and it would not start. He tried priming the system with the diaphram pump and could only get fuel to the pump not through it. He thought the transfer pump was junk so he put a new driphram transfer pump on. With the same results as the original transfer pump, fuel through the filter and to the pump but no fuel through the pump or to the injectors. Motor ran fine when it was running.

All I can think of is that he has some kind of garbage in the lines or the inlet to the pump.

Any ideas?

Recently. Truck have been running, shutting down and starting up regularly. He pulled it out side to work on it and no more go after that.

Yes it is. He has checked all the little stuff like that. He had been moving the truck around the shop on a regular basis with no problems. He pulled it outside to get another truck in the shop. Started up fine when he pulled it out of the shop but would not start when he tried to pull it back it. That's when he changed the transfer pump.

He now has fuel through the filter and at the inlet of the injector pump. He is not able to get fuel to the top of the injector pump where the injector lines bolt on or at the injectors.

There is a check ball inside the banjo bolt on the inlet of the pump. Have seen many cases where this will get stuck and block the fuel. Take the plug out of the banjo bolt and catch the check ball with your hand when it comes out. Put the plug back in and prime the system and see if it will run then.

Is the rack actually moving? Are any mods done to the truck? What year is it? Has he pulled the return and inlet lines at all to see what is happening there?

Last edited:
I'd assume the rack is moving the rpms increase when throttle is applied. The truck is completely stock.

I am not sure of the year if the motor at the moment. He took a one ton chassis and put a Brockway cab and hood on it.

I know you said he checked the little stuff, but manually push the fuel shutdown solenoid and try it. If the pump is stock and things have not been changed the ofv could be a possibility. Did you or him check the check ball that was suggested? Good luck.

The fuel shut off doesn't actually work electrically like it should. He has to manually actuate the shut off.

I told him about the check ball in the inlet side, with no results yet. I'll suggest the OFV too.

Thanks guys.

Ive had so many issues with leaks on the suction side that I ripped out all the metal fuel lines and replaced with trident USCG-rated diesel fuel hose. Got a boiler sight glass off mcmaster-carr and put one on the suction side and one on the pressure side.

Back